Glowy Colorado Fun

“…as they get into a car (uber) with a stranger from the internet.” :rofl:

His girlfriend called as it was getting late, and I said “Tell her you are tied up in a shed”. We had a good laugh.

15 Likes

Just gonna say it–you and @PrintToLaser are two of my favorite folks in the Glowverse. It’s great to see the kind of dialogue and designs that result when engaged members of online community join up in meatspace. It gives me hope for the future.

11 Likes

I just love vector pathology. It was fun doing the dog skeleton of @kittski last week. I learned so much about the specification from the discussion. Really amazing what folks know about standards and things. I know that all this computer stuff goes down to regular programming instructions, but since it isn’t quite visible, and the GUI kinds of hides the commands, it gets magical. That’s why something like OpenScad is fascinating.

3 Likes

I love meeting people from here. I’m in the DC area if anyone is visiting that area. Always glad to share some stories and GF goodness with anyone who wants to come by! It would be amazing to meet a number of you in person and share a smile and a laugh.

4 Likes

What a wonderful read. I’m a little verklempt right now.

Please send the problem file to support@glowforge.com so we can take a look for you.

5 Likes

I might actually be going on a US road trip to points unknown here in August.

My brother keeps suggesting we go on a road trip together while the ladies are away, but I’m picturing all my worst childhood memories of fights in the family stationwagon at the idea. Heh.

So far the only consideration of a destination has been going “down, then left”. :smiley:

4 Likes

If you “down” the right amount you will hit my spot.
(It’s gonna be just after Oregon; If you hit Mexico, you have passed me.)

8 Likes

If you go down about halfway before going left…you’ll run through Oklahoma…:rofl: We got cowboy steaks here…

3 Likes

And if you head down and make right you will hit VanCity but if you have to show your passport or enhanced DL, you have gone too far.

4 Likes

And if they make it to your house they passed me. Hah😀

2 Likes

Update:

So I had one file that wouldn’t process, and it was kind of important to me that it (and similar) pure-vector line drawings would in fact be usable as vectors.

Since @dan asked me to, I sent the file to support, and @rita got back to me with advice:
open it back up in AI, put an unfilled box around the whole thing, save as a new SVG, then send it to the GFUI and just set the new box step to ignore.

So I did that. But I’m back in California now, and I don’t have access to a GF here.

I asked @PrintToLaser if he would be kind enough to try running the file again, and let me know if it would load into the GFUI.

He was more than kind enough!

This is on :proofgrade: Maple. He used the new box that I had just made as a cutline instead of ignoring it, and told me that it took a bit over 14 minutes to complete. As an engraving at the same size it would have taken around an hour or more.

I was worried for a moment there, that I would only be able to use my vector sketches as raster-engraves. Thankfully, that fear was unfounded. Just gotta go put a box around the artwork when I’m done drawing it.

Seeing as how I will be adding cutlines to just about everything that might get processed in the :glowforge:… I can do that.

18 Likes

Yet another have to keep in mind. At least it works!

1 Like

I look forward to that!

@jbv - the detail on that :star_struck: I can see the components of the roller chain!

3 Likes