Goblin door?

(Too sinister for fairies, I think?)

3.5" tall. Made from 0.59" cedar pine picket fence panel for the stone surround, and baltic birch for door and hardware. Hardware was “sliced” in half after cutting, so the pieces are ~1/16" thick.

61 Likes

Oooo, I really like it! Great detail and coloring. You could just call it a medieval or castle door. Are you gonna set it up in front for the kiddies?

6 Likes

Yup! Just put a heavy coat of clear poly on, will probably wait until evening to “install” it.

Then we see how long it lasts before being swiped…

10 Likes

That’s a pretty cool door! I like how the stone is distressed.

4 Likes

You need a moat!

2 Likes

Great detail on the “stone”!

2 Likes

As I have power poles at each end of my property:

This one is taller, so it should give the fairies an advantage in the ensuing battles…

(Now that it’s finished, I can’t help but think it’s inviting urination by passers by…)

13 Likes

You’ve got a hidden talent for this sort of thing! I like the new one too. Do keep us posted on the neighborhood response.

2 Likes

13 Likes

One of the poles (with the red door) is in my field of view pretty much all day long, so I should see if anyone spots it…

I despise above-ground utilities, but it did get me Gb broadband, so… :thinking:

5 Likes

Very nice. The thicker surround really makes the door stand out.

3 Likes

Swiper no swiping!

Um, both doors installed look like they need steps… :wink:

3 Likes

It rains a lot. As you might tell from the condition of the bottom of the poles, if they were at ground level, they’d spend a lot of time under water.

2 Likes

I figured. Hence the wink. :wink:

1 Like

Really cool. I’d like to see photos of each step if you have them.

1 Like

Fairies need outhouses too! :rofl: Gives a whole new definition to a Moon Door :rofl:

2 Likes

On a more practical level There were some SCA folk wanting to put up stone walls for a week or a weekend made of plywood fastened with blocks of foam flashed about with a torch. What made them particularly impressive beyond the spattered paint was noting the effect of environment on location with darker black at the bottom to gray higher up all sprayed from the “down” side and green paint sprayed from the “up” side as the moss would naturally be more to the bottom less higher up. Probably from close observation of actual stone walls…

1 Like

I don’t… the only pic I took was during the single pass cut of the 0.59" picket, which was pretty “flamey”…

Engrave then cut stone on .59" weathered pine fence picket. Paint, engrave texture, cut door on BB. Cut hardware, slice in half, paint. Glue everything together.
The fairy door was just multiple steps on scrap BB. Mask, engrave moon, paint thru masking. Score circle, remove outer mask, paint door. Engrave door texture. Remove remaining masking, rub-n-buff exposed area. Glue on other slice of handle from the other door.

5 Likes

Just throwing this in here.

Someone else’s thread is what prompted me to make this simple engraved picket off-cut to cover a hole in my fence in the back yard. That led to me creating the doors above.

8 Likes

Love the doors! Just makes you feel a little youth to do something just for fun.

3 Likes