God Bless America! - UPDATED with Wood Base

This boils down to us dealing with pre-release again…IIRC they are working on allowing multiples, it just hasn’t been implemented yet for us.

We can import a raster image into one of their catalog offerings, or any other vector file that is opened in the interface.

But we cannot (currently) open a second vector file inside of one that is already open.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t using lighter fluid or acetone liquids possibly make the acrylic brittle or prone to small cracks? I’d recommend goo gone to remove adhesive residue…

Edit: looks like lighter fluid may be safe - acetone products not so (nail polish remove, etc)

Not sure if lighter fluid affects it; anyone have knowledge of that?

Here is an ehow article I found, but of course it’s an ehow article, sooooo, caveat emptor:

Did you try soaking it in vegetable oil and then wiping off?

If you go back to the designs page, then everything you originally loaded disappears…

I haven’t tried loading more than one vector file though from the “add artwork” function, though…but I have been able t load multiple .jpgs that way.

Are you saying that we can only load 1 vector file currently, even using the “add artwork” function?

1 Like

Yes, that is correct. The Add Artwork button is for raster images only. (currently)

3 Likes

On the other hand, keep in mind that you can always combine the two pieces of vector artwork in your vector software. Just make them different colors so you can move them independently.

5 Likes

Echoing @Jules and @cynd11’s comments. I combine any extra vector that I plan on processing. Make sure they aren’t overlapped anywhere or one inside of another. Make them different colors. So I think of my design as always based on a vector file and then have any artwork that I need to add to it later as necessary.

I have a couple square, golden rectangle and circle templates that I have in the design space ready for using. I just open them up and then drop in the bitmaps as needed. The vectors are there to cutout as I need to by just resizing. I even have one that is just a line. I use that all the time and build boxes or different sized rectangles by just resizing the line and copy and paste. That is sometimes faster than even going to Inkscape and making the vector for cutting out. I also use that line to cut material up after processing to access the sides and top that aren’t in the workable area.

4 Likes

I think I was able to add the svg file from the add art work button last night, though…but I noticed that it appeared smaller than when i added it by loading it as one of the designs on the main page, so i think i didn’t use that version, and used the one from the design page instead.

are you saying it would have been turned into a raster instead if i used the “add art work” version?

Cause that could get confusing…

1 Like

One of the other prereleasers did it once too…

If I understand what you’re saying…You used the Add Artwork button to load an SVG? (That might have rasterized the SVG which is why it appeared so small.)

For SVG files, you want to load them from the Designs page. That will bring them over as proper vectors (or vector/raster combinations) into the interface.

4 Likes

LOL. I thought I was the only one who did that :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve found myself doing it and then realizing the table saw or chop box would be faster. But I’ve got a laser, right.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly what I meant.

When I uploaded it through the “add artwork” it would appear reallllly tiny…

When I uploaded it through the design page it would appear nice and big…I decided it was probably better to use the big version, without digging too much into if there was a difference. Next time I’ll see if the small one appears to be a raster.

Would be a convenient way of choosing one form vs another, if it was labeled clearly.

2 Likes

Oh, and forgot to mention, I got an error last night on one of my prints of this…will be notifying support.

I had moved the image around a lot, resized it a bunch, and the 8 lines in the bottom of the drum, plus the text at the bottom, had come over as separate pieces from the main pic, so when I had moved the main pic, they didn’t move with it, and I had to then move that section as well, so maybe all of that could have caused this?:

The pic that this print was coming from looked perfect, though:

4 Likes

Just make sure you notify support. :wink:
(The correct order is always “Report to Support” first, then ask on the forum.)

You will start to forget to report it, and that’s your primary job as a pre-releaser.

(No idea what caused your picture to split - send the photos you’ve shown here in your report so they can take a look at it, along with the file if you can.)

2 Likes

And I get some adhesive smudges in places where it’s hard to cleanly peel off the paper without perfectly lifting it off. I.E. if some side to side movement occurs when trying to peel off the paper in some areas, then I’ve gotten some glue left behind, and that has created smudges for me:

Some light rubbing / soaking with lighter fluid, followed by washing with mild soap and water, and I’m good to go. But goo gone would probably work just as well and be safer & healthier.

Note: This isn’t just on the acrylic, now that I think about it. I’ve noticed some adhesive left behind on all materials; it’s probably just because of how clear & transparent acrylic is that it is so noticeable.

7 Likes

Sounds odd. No one else is reporting that. Is it a storage problem or a manufacturing problem with the batch you got is something Support is going to want to nail down.

1 Like

I’ve never had issues with adhesive on acrylic. I have had one or two issues with the adhesive liquifying on ply during engrave and causing the area to not be laserable and covered with globular goop.

5 Likes

Oh I know all too well the curse of “Yeah, it’s fine, I’ll remember to blah blah blah later…”

So I’ve actually been sending pics from my phone to my work e-mail, so that I eventually always get to them, and then when I do I add it to my running list on m.s. word :slight_smile:

I had opened these pics earlier today, but then got sidetracked before I had a chance to add them to my list…

Writing up the e-mail to support as we speak…

But you’re saying we should always ask support first, instead of other members? I feel bad taking up their time with things that maybe others have already stated to them…?

1 Like

I’ll send you a PM

1 Like

They will want to know, even if they’ve heard it before. (It also lets them know what’s important to people.)

2 Likes