Goimagine.com

Has anyone used GoImagine.com? An alternative to Etsy (different though) but still in its early stages. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it.

11 Likes

I don’t (and can’t, because I’m in the UK) but I wish them well, sellers really need an alternative to Etsy.

I’ve tried a few but none of them match up to the 250 lb gorilla

7 Likes

Yep. I saw it and was intrigued… then gave it some thought and came back to reality. lol

I’ve been making some things for a community I’m involved in and thought it might be a viable option. Point people there to purchase the items instead of etsy and kind of test drive it. I don’t know. lol

5 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up. I’m going to check out the site and TOS more closely tomorrow.

3 Likes

Never heard of it until now, thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

btw, if anyone is on there and there’s a referral incentive, let me know and if I sign up I’ll use it.

3 Likes

I would be interested in how they would look on a Glowforge as a central part of the production?

from their TOS

• We permit use of hand tools and light machinery; machinery should be used by the seller in their home studio or workspace.

They obviously would not have an issue with a table saw but what is their stand on robotics?

Edit: I wrote and asked directly. Will pass on what I get back.

7 Likes

They have some laser engraved products so I would assume they’re fine with it.

5 Likes

I’m guessing this is specifically weeding out folks who design at home but send production to a factory.

6 Likes

Hello Robert,

Thanks for asking. Yes, you can certainly use light machinery as long as you are the one to make and ship the product.

Thanks for your support!

Drake

That is their answer

8 Likes

Thanks for the update - I figured this but it’s good to know for sure. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for doing the legwork (finger work?)

6 Likes

Has to be fingers. The legs are near useless.

6 Likes

Ditto

3 Likes

I think it was formerly known as “Handmade.”
Not sure if that rings any bells for anyone.

@rbtdanforth I am also curious about some things they do or do not allow, things that are store bought and then personalized. Like would they allow a store-bought beanie with a leather patch added, for example. I’m gonna have to do some research about that!

1 Like

“Handcrafted” implies that power tools were involved. Calling a Glowforge a power tool is a bit of strain, but buying boxes to decoupage is apparently over the line. Having been in the middle of all the discussions about soldering machine rolled sheet silver vs lost wax casting or appropriating native culture after they had appropriated silver working from Mexican/Spanish folks with design motifs from eastern Germany that started out what you did with the teeth a boar you killed and other issues.

1 Like

I got a little lost there but, it’s late… lol I had previously heard of that site when it was called “Handmade,” but never looked into it much.

I did find on their site info that seems to cover my questions:
“We will allow sellers to hand alter pre-made items; for example, we will allow the seller to apply their own designs to blank t-shirts or mugs.”

Interesting. Doesn’t seem to be much risk in giving it a try. Maybe I’ll take the plunge soon.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.