Going from basic to pro

So… I took the leap, disregarded my inner voice, increased my credit card limit, and switched to a pro unit. I mean… Who needs have money for food anyway? While I’m waiting for it to arrive, anyone have any pointers going from basic to pro? :blush:

I’m so incredibly excited to take the plunge with this! Going to be making some amazing big things with that passthrough!

14 Likes

I use it a lot more than I thought I would. I’ve knocked out a few dispenser boxes for the big Sam’s club sized rolls of foil and plastic wrap - they can sit out now and I don’t have to wrestle them. They’re great for cutting up boards the long way too.

Given your customer base, I’m sure you’ll find even more fun uses. :grinning:

5 Likes

Your precision power settings that you’ve come up with for various materials (I’m pretty sure you don’t use much Proofgrade, right?) will transfer over just fine.

Your full power cuts… you will need to speed up by ~20% (that’s the difference between Basic PG settings and Pro PG settings - so it oughta work for you).

You can reference this Google Sheet that GF put together to figure out what 20% faster actually is:

9 Likes

Thanks @Jules I’m so excited about the passthrough! There are so many advantages to it! So many ideas!! I’ve actually enjoyed having the limitation of not having the passthrough. Forced me to be creative. But I’ve ended up turning down some larger orders because of the size limitations and I found myself jury rigging things that will be much easier with the passthrough.

Oh wow! Thanks @jbmanning5! I haven’t seen this! I’ll have it bookmarked! It’ll be an adjustment getting used to the new settings! :blush:

4 Likes

Keep a 19" x 3" (or so) piece of cardboard handy to help remove material after cutting… The guard strip is very grabby!

2 Likes

By design :slight_smile: material is meant to pass through, not passthroughandback :slight_smile:

Which does bring up a good point; make sure your workspace is set up so that you can orient the machine in a way that you can actually utilize the passthrough.

12 Likes

I refuse to conform! :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

You tell 'im, baby brother! :heart:

4 Likes

I, too, tend to pull material back out, but I have noticed a small tear starting at one edge of the rubber. Or perhaps it was where the screws go through - can’t be sure till I get back to GF.
John :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Feeding a piece of cardboard in just far enough to hold up the flap lets you remove the cut material without any stress on the rubber…

6 Likes

You’ll really like that passthrough. I haven’t used it much for large runs since I tend to make really little things, but I do use it quite a bit for orienting the material to get every last bit off of my sheet. At first I was using a single cutline to cut the material to fit in the bed, but then realized I really didn’t need to do that–just prop up the sticky-outie piece on cardboard boxes so it doesn’t droop.

Now don’t forget to label your workspace with warning labels per the Pro safety instructions. There are a couple of things you need to do that you didn’t have to with your Basic.

6 Likes

I also use a flat stick to move magnets about without opening the lid !

John :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Congrats! You’ll grow to love the passthrough. I use it on almost every job. Any time I use a full sheet of material I’m using the passthrough with the material at 90deg so I don’t waste that 1” on the edge

7 Likes

So at the back of the glowforge there is an inch or so gap between the crumb tray and the back wall. Small pieces like to fall into this gap. Normally this is scrap, but sometimes it is something you want. So if you push something all the way through and you’re like, hey where is that small piece, that is a good place to look. This is also why I like having my glowforge on a table much longer than the glowforge is deep: the larger pieces don’t fall out of the material onto the floor - they fall an inch or so onto the table.

Note: when trying to retrieve the pieces that fall behind the crumb tray, if you don’t want to power the glowforge off so you can move the arm forward, just open the front door and pull out the crumb tray.

6 Likes

Likely tearing–makes sense if rubber piece was designed/intended for material to move in one direction, and it’s getting additional stress as you pull material against the direction it was designed for…

2 Likes

Oh good tip!! I’m going to be moving my machine to a 10 ft table that should help with this!! Thanks!!!

2 Likes

I keep a roll of tape handy, and after any engrave where I will be moving stuff around, especially with small pieces I need, I just lay tape over it to keep those small pieces from falling out.

Very helpful when building multi layer signs etc too

4 Likes

A layer of aluminum foil under the material will also keep small pieces from being lost to the crumb tray. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

^^^^ :+1: ^^^^

1 Like

Flashback an issue with this?

1 Like