Good lifting casters for your table

So one huge advantage of an x-carve is that the top and bottom are open like the glowforge pro. The downside of that is you need a LOT of space to do a long piece out both sides. My x-carve is on a table I built out of one of those workbench kits with the glass reinforced nylon legs and 2x4s. So I needed to do a 6’ sign for someone, and my x-carve is against a wall. Now you think sure move it. And in fact there is a large jog in the wall right to the left of the machine. Unfortunately given how tight space is, I have the screw-compressor for my Tormach underneath. The table is several hundred pounds. And since when the machine is carving there is a fair amount of force x-y, I need the table firmly on the ground, but wanted it mobile. So did a bit of research for lifting casters. I noted 2 main styles - with plates and without. The difference is the without screw directly into the table legs, while the with you mount a plate and the caster locks into that plate.

So I found these, which were relatively cheap, and have the plates and can lift 600lbs. Included are M6 machine screws that are in general too short to go through the table as I had it configured.

First steps was to cut a 1” thick acrylic spacer on the glowforge to put the plate at the right height above the floor. (Trust me you want the spacer, 1” is really cramped and so much easier when the plate is resting on something) I went to the local hardware store and got 3” 1/4-20 machine screws (the plates have a countersink in them to fir the M6, but 1/4” is so close it fits just fine. The bottom screw only needed 0.5” on my table leg, while the top needed the fill 3”. Then you slide the caster in and drop the pin. Step on the lever and voila the table lifts up maybe 1/2” (they claim 3/4”?). But the effort to raise it is trivial, the install is trivial, and for some reason if you don’t want the plates you can directly bolt on. For those with a non-movable glowforge table, this is a great option (you can totally mount these with the glowforge in place (heck I had a job running on the x-carve on top when I installed) as it doesn’t need to lift to install.

In place the casters look broken when they are not engaged.

In the lifted position

Pull the pin and pull off the caster. If you work in a school you might want to replace the pin with a bolt with a nylock screw just to prevent mischief. I figure my wife is unlikely to steal my caster…

EDIT; haha forgot the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X2G9RXW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14 Likes

Looks good; thanks for the link and how-to details. My GF table already has wheels, but I know I’ll need this in the future.

This is exactly why I am planning ahead for my next gantry cnc router (Onefinity), I’ve seen many a smart person put their unit in the corner and then be stuck.
Ply comes in 96"and dimensional even longer. Sure 99% of the time it will be cutting much smaller but that one time…

2 Likes

What is the advantage of a quick release caster?

The biggest advantage is you can mount the plate without the caster in the way. It’s very hard to get the screw holes in line with the caster there

1 Like

As I needed to move a lot of furniture moving in and old so this was not an option, so I used these that come in various sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/SuperSliders-4705195N-Reusable-Furniture-Hardwood/dp/B01ACEKKT4/ref=asc_df_B01ACEKKT4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194861420852&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14775876321263656750&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052965&hvtargid=pla-314634172760&psc=1

I just left them in place under the Glowforge table,

1 Like

Those work great on carpet or hardwood floors, but not the bare concrete of my shop.

UMHW plastic might need to be cut yourself but would be good for such extreme conditions and somewhat rare use,

Not currently usable for me but when I get the new shed up and going, I know I’ll be using. Thank you VERY much. :heart:

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.