Google map art project

My sisters favorite place is their lake house, so for her birthday I made this map image on the glowforge. It is three layers with the base layer in resin for the lake, the next is an acrylic dirty pour and inlay outline of the lake and the “third” are the labels and star for location. I printed the google map of the map, traced it, scanned the traces image and the uploaded to Inkspace. These pics are my prototype about 4x3 inches as I already had the address marked out on it from when I posted it on my flowart group. The final was about 18x12in. Tracing the map with a marker gave it (accidentally) the double cutline that created the inlay.

34 Likes

That’s an awesome take on the custom map idea. well done.

1 Like

Thanks. It was easier than I thought. Since the lake was a unique and distinct shape it was specifically recognizable to them. No point it offering the file because I highly doubt anyone wants this lake :slight_smile: but I would be happy to walk someone through the process for their own map if they wanted.

2 Likes

What a nice gift! I’ve been meaning to do something similar for my parents and in-laws.

2 Likes

The texture is amazing! Well done!

3 Likes

Wow … Love it … Striking with the colors.

2 Likes

wooh, how did you do the paint swirl? that is really cool!

2 Likes

It is done with acrylic and is called flowart. Basically acrylic paint mixed with a pouring medium. Then each mixed color is add to one cup somewhat layered and is poured out onto the wood. Here are a few other examples where I combined glowforge basics with acrylic. I started using the glowforge to personalize cheeseboards with resin then branched into these fun little gifts or items for my business. I have love functional art and the glowforge helps me do this.

17 Likes

I really like the idea of this, and your examples are stunning.

Adding to the “must try someday” list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

beautiful! I need to try it out!

2 Likes

Love the cutting board!

1 Like