Got THE email for my PRO order!

That would be a very interesting night out.

Dan announced they moved to a high volume line in March. I imagined a high volume line in Flex would make hundreds a day but so far it seems to have made hundreds in 77 days.

1 Like

I’m betting it’s not the production side of the line that’s slow. @dan has mentioned an extensive checkout process and specialized tooling that they run every unit through (in addition to their calibration process) is what’s slowing everything.

1 Like

Well Flex are going to love that blocking up a high volume line. If all units need a prolonged test then production will never speed up unless they create a massive hall full of test stations.

1 Like

It’s been exactly 5 weeks since I received “the email” – here’s to hoping that we hear good news in the next 7 days!

Still no word on my proofgrade materials or Pro unit.

9 Likes

That could also be a hold up. because I would imagine that the testing would be quite complex.

Yep. If you need to produce 100 machines a day and the test takes more than 1/100th of a day then you have a problem.

1 Like

Exactly! And because you also have to have the stations all up to snuff to make sure each gives the same answer, that alone could provide even more headaches.

I guess that makes sense if you could only test one machine at a time.

1 Like

Exactly. If the test takes a day then you need 100 test stations or testing become the bottleneck and the production line stalls.

1 Like

It will be fun but may not get any info. There are several “lines” in a manufacturing facility they could have one, two three etc. Depends on the size of the building. I have been in a few of the Flex buildings teaching them how to use our parts and trouble shooting. I suspect its being done in there smaller production lines here. Higher volumes things are done overseas.We will see soon they have a few days and the first pro is due to arrive. IF they miss we will get the “we have let you down speech” but no real information… it is the pattern after all. It really only throws fuel on the fire of the people crying foul and turns up the “I told you so” teasing…I’m hoping for Adrianf…

1 Like

I had asked that question about “shipping vs delivery” because I was thinking the same as you. Dan gave an answer but it was Marketing Spin, that they “were working to have them “delivered” by October 31st” Which does not paint a clearer picture at all.

2 Likes

I saw that too. I’m not sure “Delivered” would mean anything less than “On the Dock waiting for shipper”. Most of laypeople would agree that “Delivered” means in our hot lazery hands.

2 Likes

The PRUs were via FedEx, and my box came damaged

4 Likes

UPDATE! Just got a notification from UPS saying that I should receive a package from Moduslink/glowforge tomorrow! This is for the proofgrade materials. No email from glowforge, just a ping via UPS app.

Still no word on the Glowforge Pro itself.

28 Likes

2 Likes

That’s progress, at least! IIRC, in most cases the Forge has followed closely behind the PG delivery. Hope that’s the case here too.

7 Likes

Why can’t we do multiple likes on the same post!!!:upside_down: :squee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squee:

2 Likes

Woohoo for the shipping notification, though shame it’s just for the proofgrade materials. Fingers crossed that the laser soon follows.

Without any specifics or transparency from Glowforge on this new layer of significant shipping delays, it appears there is no chance whatsoever that they will meet the current promised dates. Just looking at Pro unit pre-orders, it’s been weeks since they were to have started shipping the first Pro units, and the majority of even first day orders still has received no word.

The question, to me, isn’t whether they’ll catch up and make the current promised dates - the question is when they will admit to have a serious problem with either manufacturing, assembly, QA, or shipping.

The reports of shipping damage are pretty troubling. It’s easy to shrug them off as being the fault of FedEx, UPS, or any other carrier… but in truth a well-packed shipment ought to be able to handled by any freight carrier - even if somebody’s having a bad day. This isn’t the first, or the largest product of its kind to ever be shipped. I’m sure Glowforge is engaged in a battle with spiraling production costs, but engaging the services of a decent packaging consultant (or even two to get a second opinion) would save them a fortune against freight damage.

5 Likes

The fundamental problem with the packaging is it needs two people to handle it but UPS only use one.

Also the size is limited by the shipping constraints, so that limits how much foam there can be. I think they are between a rock and a hard place. Somehow in a few inches they need to have enough impact absorbing material to protect the rigidly mounted glass tube from shocks.

So cut the Glowforge in two and ship with further assembly by the owner. :sunglasses:

4 Likes