Gothic Rocket

Just finished another project for the SPARK Museum auction. Inspired by the “Gothic Rocket”, this is similar to a plasma sphere, the plasma arcs respond if you touch the glass. All of the rocket structure around the base (and the top ring) was cut from acrylic.

62 Likes

Wow. This looks so cool.

4 Likes

I love this, and long to cause some plasma arcs. You are going to be the star of the auction!

6 Likes

Want! :star_struck:

8 Likes

I’ve always wanted one of these, ever since the day I read this post.

12 Likes

I should clarify that the tube was made by the great plasma artist, Wayne Strattman. All I did was the base & top ring.

6 Likes

Yeah, I looked for elongated shaped plasma tubes, I wanted to build an airship around one (more rugby-ball shaped). I make for fun, so cost-prohibitive!

5 Likes

There aren’t enough likes for this!!!

5 Likes

now that is wicked cool.

3 Likes

We’re all geeks that loves anything that sparks and lasers…

5 Likes

Another super cool one from you! I’d love to see a video of it in action, and even one of you assembling it.

6 Likes

Very nice design work to display that!

3 Likes

Looks really cool but the price of the tube :exploding_head: is about the same as a GF basic :astonished: they sure beat the glass kaleidoscopes although making them in double-walled glass tubes could be amazing as well. A shop I was working at had a 6" antique glass lathe, Looking I see a new one is in the glowforge pro price range but weighs far more than the one I used. Getting them properly aligned was a huge problem.

1 Like

I don’t have a video of the assembly, but here is one of it operating:

Mesmer Tube

6 Likes

Yes, they are not cheap! Fortunately the Artist donated the tube to the auction. His work is amazing!

2 Likes

If you like sparks, here’s a pic taken at the Museum recently. 4.5 Megavolts!

4 Likes

Do you work with a glass lathe?

No, but Wayne helped me make a wine glass on his once!

1 Like

Kool

1 Like

Wow! Awesome job!!

3 Likes