Graham Cracker "Gingerbread" House

Here’s a project for the classroom…and home. Instead of going the distance to bake actual gingerbread, I started experimenting with graham crackers as the material for a GF cut gingerbread house. We will be making a bunch of these during the upcoming couple of weeks before Christmas vacation (if we are in-person instead of virtual)

Super easy. Just tell Glowforge you are cutting Proofgrade Draftboard and it cuts perfectly. My elementary STEM students helped me create the pieces in Keynote before shipping them into Inkscape for SVG conversion.

41 Likes

The only real fail was the scrolled fascia because the curls were too brittle from the cut.

Also, you have to be a bit creative on how you position your graham crackers to preserve the strongest integrity.

4 Likes

Excellent!

5 Likes

Nicely done!

3 Likes

Great idea, and nicely executed!

4 Likes

Great tip! and great project!

3 Likes

I don’t get how people can make (so much awesomeness) “gingerbread” houses, I just want to eat all the bits :sweat_smile::joy_cat:

I love what you have made, and true to form, would try to eat most of it!

6 Likes

Your forge will smell like the Keebler elves burnt down their whole tree when you open it up and I hear real gingerbread smells even worse. I probably ate 3/4 of the candy and a bunch of the frosting so that can keep you away from eating the actual walls and scraps.

7 Likes

Great project for schools and home based students as well.

3 Likes

Truth.

5 Likes

Wonderful idea, especially since I hate gingerbread cookies.

5 Likes

Just make sure you don’t get the other way around and start eating draftboard…

7 Likes

This is amazing, and I will be trying it out for sure!

2 Likes

*imagines icing gingerbr…draftboard cookies ;p *

Man, why are these things so dry and hard? :joy_cat:

3 Likes

I just called my husband and told him before he comes home to stop and buy me a great big bag of Hershey kisses!!

5 Likes

Way cool!

1 Like

What fun! Nice work!

1 Like

Wonderful project! I have no need for a gingerbread house but it looks like so much fun.

6 Likes

A neat idea! I had my eyes on the Hershey Kisses also!

Very nice! I’ll bet your elementary students are thrilled to know their design draws such admiration.

1 Like