Grandkid ornaments

I’ve been busy using up scraps…or trying to, anyhow. It’s hard to make a dent in my pile! Anyway, here are some ornaments I made for the gkids today with their names and favorite animals. They’re cut from proofgrade plywoods plus acrylic inserts to hold the glued-on names, with engraved animal vectors courtesy of Etsy. :slight_smile:

37 Likes

Those are adorable. Love the names for your grandkids too!

2 Likes

Nice ornaments - I am also eyeing the interesting things on the table nearby. Can we see those close up?

5 Likes

Wow, those look great!

At first I was thinking “how did she get the paw print to float like that?” Then I could see the acrylic backing. Very nice!

4 Likes

Haha! Let’s see…I already posted the oak leaf earrings. The striped diamond one and the tree of life one are on my Etsy page.

[EDIT: I missed one, just barely visible in the corner, the mandala teardrop earring – my daughter Risa helped with the design of that one.]

The one with the Christmas tree is an interesting conundrum…someone posted a very similar design over on the FB group before I ever took a photo of mine, so to avoid any conflicts I’m not going to distribute it, but I like it!

I came up with it right after I did the oak leaf, while I was still working from the non-engineer side of my brain. :slight_smile: The engineer side gets in the way a lot, insisting on trees having branches and leaves having veins, and stuff like that. I have a hard time getting it to shut up and let me do artsy things!

The quilt box was a request from my daughter-in-law Felicity, who needed a place to store her hankies. Because yes, she uses hankies. Despite being quite the geek, she also writes actual letters. With a pen, on pretty stationery. And sci-fi/fantasy stories. And she quilts, which you may have already guessed. I have interesting children, and they’ve all married interesting people. :wink:

Anyway, it’s not quite done yet because it’s awaiting hardware, but here’s a preview:

13 Likes

These are great. I especially like the tree… and the box. I need to learn how to be creative.

5 Likes

It’s hard. I’ve been practicing for a LONG time. :wink:

3 Likes

and have gotten very good at it

4 Likes

I dunno, it still eludes me, sometimes for months on end! Or years, in the case of the oak leaf. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

This is really lovely! Had to look close up at the inlay…at first I thought it was acrylic.

3 Likes

She wanted it in colors to match their bedroom, so to get it right I used acrylic paints on Baltic birch. I want to make another one but using different colors of hardwood, for me (although I don’t use hankies). It’s bugging me that I can’t sand the surfaces of this one for fear of taking off the color, so there are slight variations in thickness. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (There goes my engineer side again!)

3 Likes

The quilt box for hankies is really pretty, and I like the whimsy of the squiggle Christmas tree.

4 Likes

During tornado season you could reverse the green and yellow and call it the yellow brick road to Oz design.

8 Likes

Great use of scraps! I love all the designs - particularly the quilt box.

4 Likes

Oh that’s neat!

Engineering is an art, too! There are just more ground rules. Lots more.

5 Likes

Love all the stuff you’re making in your Santa workshop!

2 Likes

Sometimes they get in the way! :wink:

2 Likes

Said our architect to our builder…

3 Likes

Love everything… especially the quilt box!!

2 Likes

You’ve been busy! The grandchildren will love their ornaments!

I love the tree … and as a quilter … I love the box!

2 Likes