Oak Leaf Earrings (I hope)

I have been trying for more than a year to create an oak leaf earring pattern that I like. This is the first one that I haven’t hated.

Do these look like oak leaves to anyone else, or should I go back to the drawing board?

35 Likes

I like them a lot, very oak leaf-esque!

6 Likes

I think they’re lovely

6 Likes

Thanks, y’all are helping my confidence. I think I’ve just stared at them so long they’ve stopped looking like anything to me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

They look very much like oak leaves. And, even though I did read the title of the post and saw ‘oak leaves’, I don’t think it affected my first impression…that they are definitely oak leaves. It’s like sometimes if you stare at a word in the English language long enough, you end up thinking “what the hell IS that?” They’re beautiful!

5 Likes

Maybe either a Post Oak or English Oak.

Here we have Northern Pin Oak and Black Oaks that have much more defined & consistent shapes. Like this:

or this:

Just depends on the kinds of oaks you have around as to whether someone sees oak tree leaves or just a random leaf.

7 Likes

I’m not sure I’d know they were oak leaves at first glance without the label. But as mentioned above, it’s probably a lot to do with the type of oak that’s most common in your yard/area. I think you captured the shape really well, though.

6 Likes

They’re unique oak leaves and perfect as they are!

3 Likes

looks OA-KA to me.

2 Likes

Many varieties. Mine (which almost complety covers my home) is a Red Oak.

6 Likes

Looks legit! Neat design.

3 Likes

Pretty sure the original leaf I went by was from a post oak. :slight_smile:

Also I thought black oaks were the ones with the HUGE acorns.

7 Likes

Laser that sucker!

4 Likes

I’m no expert, but I know what mine is… Tiny acorns, too…

2 Likes

My first thought was which oak but yours certainly looks like the Post Oak which I believe you said is what is around you.

There is one around here called a Turkey Oak that is an extreme of his second example as the leaves look like turkey feet, but the rest of the oaks are just tiny leaves barely distinguishable but for subtleties that you need a magnifying glass to see.

In one of my first trips up north from Miami, I was struck by how similar the shapes of the trees are with a wild variety of leaf shapes, while Miami trees you can know the species from the tree shape a mile away but the leaves are not very different for the most part.

We have post oaks and live oaks…maybe some others; I’m not an expert! The pin oak leaves definitely look familiar, too.

1 Like

Here the Turkey Oak stands out but all the rest just look like someone’s fancy fingernails in size and shape.

1 Like

I had been trying to do one with scored/engraved veins and stuff…but then we drove past Post Oak Mall the other day and their logo inspired me. I don’t like their leaf shape, but I like the style. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What the display shows as Laurel Oak we have (very short lived), but almost the same leaf with different details at the edges they call Black Oak, and White Oak, Live Oak is big long lived and stately and “Monkey Oak” has similar leaves but the branches keep bending to the ground and starting back up again like a ball bouncing.

There are 90 species of oak in the United States so it probably matches at least one. I know there are 90 species because of this article on gall wasps, which use oak trees to reproduce. Several new species have been identified including one in Texas.

2 Likes