Grants from Glowforge to fund your creativity at Maker Faire

You apparently didn’t pick up that I was being sarcastic in my response. :expressionless:

Of course there’s ‘other ways’ to market. But this is perfectly in line with what her (@bailey) job is to do. You’re effectively criticising someone’s work of which you yourself do not do, implying you know it better than she does.

I will add that as a Marketer, I think @bailey has been doing a bang-up job. But as an engineer, I think she could be fired. So there’s that. She should stick to Marketing.

2 Likes

Or maybe they’d appreciate a weekend without having to work. I’m sure it’s been hectic lately (like the past 2 years) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have not read through many of the posts in here, as it started to get pretty repetitive, but it’s clear there are a large number of GF customers who think the plan is a good idea ( I do as well, even though I can’t participate), and a smaller group who is irritated and feels this plan will have an adverse impact on them in some way. Those folks don’t seem to have an appreciation for the value of marketing, and how it might HELP them.

All of the resources to execute this plan are coming out of the investors’ pockets. The ultimate goal of the plan is increased exposure for GF resulting in more positive word of mouth and future sales potential. Those results, in turn, will increase investor confidence. And that will possibly trigger easier approvals to do more things, more quickly to get the GF out into the hands of each and every one of us SOONER.

So short term, yeah, maybe those couple of machines sent out as loaners could have been put in the hands of others higher up on the list. But long term, I suspect a larger number of customers might get their machines a tad earlier because the investors will look at the energy swell from NYMF and say in unison, “Yes, let’s do it.”

2 Likes

Ironically not understanding a sarcastic post as response to a sarcastic post? Hilarious…
I have no qualms with her or her work. Ive said repeatedly its the general movements of the business as a whole.

You know – I am in total awe of GF with the support of this forum. I don’t think I have ever dealt with a company that has provided, on their own dime, such an avenue for interaction in this fashion. I applaud their openness and I applaud their strength in being able to take a barrage of posts that are frequently vitriolic, filled with suspicion, accusations of dishonesty and duplicity, and generally mean spirited no matter how they are couched or masked in rationalizations. Add to that the number of posts that know how they should do their business better than they do, and the miracle that this forum still exists leaves me in awe.

I love the offer about the Maker Faire and what GF is trying to do – and also have to shake my head about many of the responses. I think if they were offering to give away free sky blue Ferrari’s, there are all sorts of folks who would complain bitterly that they weren’t red…

13 Likes

I should add as well that i actually think its a good marketing strategy. As I said initially however, I dont think this sort of thing should be done until more units have shipped. Again, just my opinion.

1 Like

Yeah, when it comes to laser-based projects creations that’s pretty much everyone without a laser. And that’s my point. And why including them comes as an attempt at placating people.

For someone without a laser, taking advantage of this hinges on them getting accepted to maker faire without a laser to make the stuff they’ll be demonstrating or talking about. And then that person has to hope they’re one of the people selected for the grant, because they’re SOL if they don’t end up with a laser to make those aforementioned products but still have a booth at maker faire. And then they have to hope that the glowforge doesn’t get delayed or damaged in shipping, because a month isn’t all that long to begin with when you’re making a booth that could be seen by tens of thousands of people, and a week or two delay could make a huge impact.

But I guess we will see what percentage of these grants go to people without a laser. And that will speak volumes.

… Wut.

1 Like

A couple of things - we don’t even know what units they are sending out for this. They could be refurbed PRUs, recalled and refurbed units damaged in shipping, etc.

Additionally, if they are brand new units going on loan, being a mid-August delivery date, hopefully the production line will be slinging out units left and right by that time and it won’t even be a noticeable blip.

1 Like

Sorry, I misunderstood your sarcasm for being an argument repeating the tired theory that “anything other than cranking out a Glowforge is a waste of time”. I see now that you’re just against the perception itself, not the act.

Perhaps Glowforge should drop lasers and create reality perception filters. That’d be a big seller!

3 Likes

For what it’s worth I think this is a great idea. As Forrest Gump would say, “That’s all I have to say about that.”

4 Likes

I hope they are cranking them out by then. And I did initially think that they could be used units or refurbs. I dont really think that they will be though just because I wouldn’t think that they would want to send out anything less than their best (i.e. a new unit) to their customers. Could look bad if it were visibly older or didnt perform. But honestly, who knows.

They aren’t going to be handing these out like candy. The better your “presentation” is : the better they feel about taking a chance on you, the better chance you have at getting a booth, the better chance you’ll have the capability to get up to speed, etc etc etc.

I don’t understand this sentiment of “shame on Glowforge for providing us an opportunity. It’s not fair because …”

I guarantee there are a few people on this forum who have never touched a laser but could submit an application for this and knock it out of the park. Maybe it’s not me, maybe it’s not you, and maybe it’s not “fair” but life ain’t fair.

4 Likes

Right. In other words, be a multifaceted, creative individual. I’m with you here… but then you say:

Then you contradict yourself. If they have talent to show, then it shouldn’t be a problem for them attending, regardless of the grant approval.

Nevertheless, they don’t “only” want lasered things to show off – a significant part of the show will be people coming up to you and asking, “Hey, what can this thing do? Can you do (this idea)?”. It would be nice to have artistic-minded people who can stop, think for a second and reply, “Sure! I’ve an idea… here, give me 10 minutes to draw this out and show you how…”

University education?

Actually @bailey said that they’d turn the grant decisions around quickly so that if you didn’t get a grant you’d be able to cancel your MF booth without issue. You’re only out the time & effort to apply to both. Since that may be substantial, that ought to play into deciding whether to try to play.

1 Like

You apply to maker faire with an explanation of what you’ll be doing at your booth. “I will be making laser cut jewelry with my laser. Attendees can assemble their own laser cut necklace at my booth” or “I’ll be using a laser to build a time machine to take over the world. Attendees can assist me in world domination.”

Without an actual laser, those things are going to be really hard to accomplish. I’m just assuming maker faire cares that your application proposal is actually what you’ll be doing in your booth, but maybe that’s not the case?

1 Like

And if you’re selected for Maker Faire and not selected for Glowforge sponsorship, you can decline the offer…

You’re not limited to laser things. You can show whatever you want to put on display, that you already make.

Yeah the laser is a tool that can be a nice addition to the booth but the booth itself is about your craft, it’s completely independent of the tools used to create it.

4 Likes

Ok, I am going through the Maker Faire application and submitting to be an exhibitor, and I think this is a great opportunity with the grant. I don’t have my Glowforge yet, so it does kind of present some logistical issues. (I’m going to work to overcome those though.)

As some have mentioned, some people have never touched a laser. Well, I am one of those. That’s what appealed to me about the GF…the barrier to entry seemed lower. Plus, it looks like an awesomely capable machine.

In the Maker Faire application, they want an exhibition photo submitted. Well, I don’t have one. The things I’m proposing to make, I have not made yet because I don’t have a laser. Any ideas of how I should go about submitting something that will get me chosen as an exhibitor, even though I don’t even have a prototype yet?

8 Likes

Do you have a design file? I can give it a shot on the PRU. Can also help make some stuff for you before August if you’re selected by both MF & GF.

10 Likes

In both cases… there are machines going out to FINAL CUSTOMERS. Slightly out of order. But likely not far out of order. Most of the forum regulars are first day orders, or at least initial campaign orders. Many of the regulars are international, and don’t actually get any bump in delivery date at all (on the assumption international will be done with large shipping containers to finish out regions at a time).

The people who apply to this grant program will probably come in under 10 total machines. I would hope most of them are recently placed orders, as they benefit most from a bump in shipping order. But again… overall change in delivery date for majority of customers… barely affected.

As you point out… your opinion doesn’t matter one bit. So why do I bother to respond, and even worse, attempt to change your opinion? Because I spend all day working with my kids trying to help them avoid pointlessly negative attitudes, so responding to them and guiding away from them is compulsory for me.

You are making a deliberate choice to feel bad about something, for no tangible gain. Why?

Links to Thingiverse products you plan to make, or Pinterest boards. Or cut a few by hacksaw/boxcutter. If you have a local makerspace, borrow their laser for a little while. Consult the Glowforge Map and see if someone near you has their laser already and will let you visit. And as @jamesdhatch already offered, ask some forum members who have lasers and see if anyone can do a few cuts and a photo for you.

4 Likes