Grateful for this Place to Post

Hi everyone. I always posted though the Original Glowforge Community right here and love it. Since I have Facebook, I thought it would be a good idea to join some of the Glowforge groups. Wow, what true disappointment that was. You all are authentic and do not steal one another’s ideas without permission. My first day joining one of the groups, someone on there was threatened with a lawsuit for stealing someone else’s work. I saw that MANY were buying a file off of Etsy that had a snowflake ornament which had 8 sides. Some had six with this particular theme (“F” "Flakes 2020). I decided to be very gentle and posted a comment as friendly and caring as I could that for those who may not be aware, that there are six main branches of a snowflake. Many jumped on it immediately and went off on me. I know many are in it ot make money, I get that. I was in business and sold on Etsy for over 10 years. Sold my own hand crafted stoneware pottery. It was a huge success. My hands got terribly arthritic. I am an engineering teacher as well, so my students were always my number one priority. I have an engineering, teaching, and art degree. I was trying to give some constructive, yet gentle criticism. I promise I was very caring. It hurt. I am no longer looking for FB Glowforge groups to join unless it is from Glowforge itself. I much rather post on here and read all of the wonderful things that inspire each and every one of you. Happy creating.

29 Likes

Ouch. I hope we never end up like the FaceBook groups. I have heard so many horror stories from those.

I, for one, am glad you are here and not there! If this community were like that, I wouldn’t be here either. :wink:

9 Likes

Yep, you stay here with us! :star_struck:

6 Likes

You’re safe here. The FB groups are cesspits, the worst of humanity. Avoid for your own sanity.

7 Likes

I have been on this forum for 5 years, and I must say it is much more civil than most places on the internet. We have our bad days now and then, and we have some snark on occasion, but mostly we try to help each other and provide constructive criticism to others and Glowforge. One of the most amazing things about this forum, in my opinion, is that we have the opportunity to interact with staff.

13 Likes

This is far and away the best forum I have ever been a part of. I too tried the FB groups and was very disappointed. There are days that even though I’m not lasering, I still log on to read posts and try to share some positive thoughts. I’m glad you are here with us.

10 Likes

Really glad that you found us here … this is the place to be. Several of us on here also belong to one of the FB groups, so we understand exactly what you’re describing. And, though it’s sure not necessary, we really know how great it is here by comparison…so welcome to you! Many of us have been here since the very beginning…so we have a very long time of learning, sharing, helping, and comiserating.

7 Likes

Perhaps if one had to buy a Glowforge in order to post on Facebook the worst of the folks there would not be posting. Just because Nature makes all the snowflakes with six sides does not mean that all the artists have to do the same :slightly_smiling_face:

I have many “snowflakes” in 4, 8, or 16 sides as well as six or occasionally five. Would love to see your stoneware as well, as I did a lot of stoneware and porcelain years back, but it would be tough to accomplish that now.

1 Like

We are glad you are here. Welcome!

@ovm.steve “share some positive thoughts” This is my daily happiness routine.

4 Likes

Life is too precious to be negative.

3 Likes

Indeed. For many of us, this is the only reason we stuck around for the years we waited for the GF to deliver. It’s nice to have the focus more on using/helping than on complaining/attacking.

5 Likes

Amen, brother!!

3 Likes

Hello! So happy to have you here among friends. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I belong to a FB group … but have really learned to dislike FB in general. So, I may only sign on once every month or two. Family is spread wide, so it does give a connection for that.

Glowforge forum … I read every day. I tend to read every post. Sometimes life gets in the way … but this is my favorite place to be.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.