Green Marble Pentakisdodecahedron

This Pentakisdodecahedron features laser cut Dark Green Pearl Cast Acrylic faces inset in a 3D printed multi-color frame. Each triangle fits together to the corresponding face and is a 3 colored print on the Bambu X1-Carbon with AMS. This is my second polyhedral designed using interlocking 3D printed faces, but first project using the multi-colored abilities of the X1-C. No screws needed, but glue was used.

Build Pics

42 Likes

The green highlight line is a great touch!

14 Likes

Wow! Nice!

11 Likes

Thanks so much for the write-up!

Do you think you prefer using this method with glue over the previous method with screws?

Do you think you could adjust your tolerances on your connectors for it to snap together? (But maybe the glue is just better for reliability.)

13 Likes

I wouldn’t say that I prefer it, it’s just a new method of trying to put these things together. Part of it is just seeing if I can figure it out in fusion 360. They sort of already snap together but I use glue to help seal the seams a little bit. I’d like the possibility of using multicolor filament when creating these I want so hopefully I can get creative and make some unique faces. At some point I’ll try to do a more complex one, as I try not to do the same polyhedral more than once. As far as the pentakisdodecahedron, I made one with laser cut faces, a laser only version, and now this one with 3D printed faces. I’m happy with the way that it turned out, and like the ability to add color to the prints with the bambu. This one is actually using two different wood PLA, and some green PLA, but it’s hard to see the darker wood like I’d hoped on the inside edge near the acrylic.

13 Likes

This is beautiful!

8 Likes

I need to see the room you have all these in. Or all of them together in one place. Looks great

8 Likes

Gorgeous! Love the acrylic and the green offset. Wow!

8 Likes

Loving that green. Looks like a prop from Moulin Rouge or Wicked.

7 Likes

I was thinking the same thing while reading

You may have already said this in another post, but what do you do with all these lovely creations?

7 Likes

I display many of them. There are many packed away. I need to come up with a plan to get rid of all of them so they don’t just end up in a landfill when I die. Here are a few of my creations displayed proudly in my house right now.

19 Likes

Love it!

4 Likes

Charity auction! Pick
A charity for proceeds to go to then open up the bidding do all of us.

Charity art acuction!

7 Likes

I’m really digging your 3D printed frames. They make a great way to use sheet material that would otherwise be difficult to work with. I’m thinking something like agate slabs (or any other stone slabs). You couldn’t cut them on your Glowforge, but it wouldn’t be too hard to cut them into triangles with a tile saw.

7 Likes

I second @Thumper369 's idea!

3 Likes