Greeting Cards with a Twist

A few months back I saw some new “premium” greeting cards at the local store which included a wood front cover with different artistic treatments. Of course, this immediately got my creative juices flowing. My wife has made dozens of cards on her Cricut and she has an extensive selection of paper, vinyl and velum. When one of our mutual friends asked if we could make a card for his upcoming anniversary, I thought it would be a great chance for my wife and I to try our hands at making a special card for him.

While it may not be a Hallmark card, it is definitely one that my wife and I are proud of, and we are happy to place our brand on the back. Now all our friends will be turning over their cards to see if it’s from 2 Saints Designs.

42 Likes

Nicely done. I like the tiny bit of red left showing in the H and A.

2 Likes

A real standout! :sunglasses: How did you hinge the wood? Glued to the paper?

4 Likes

That looks great! I am interested on how you hinged it as well.

4 Likes

This is way nicer than a generic card, congratulations on how well it turned out!

3 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

You are correct. The inner card is made with heavier cardstock. I made it with an extra 1/4" so it could be creased. The small 1/4" flap is glued to front and about 1/2" wide strip is glued to the back. I still wanted the card to have the pages be “loose” rather than fully glued in place. The red velum is then glued over the top of the 1/4" flap. I keep the card flap small so that it doesn’t spill over into any of the cutouts.

4 Likes

That’s a unique card!!

3 Likes

Very nice design. If you haven’t noticed there are a couple pieces of that pesky masking left on your lettering. That card will definitely be a keeper. :blush:

1 Like

Yeah. I took the photo before I noticed those. That logo is only about 1/2" high so it isn’t the easiest to see all of the detail.

1 Like

I can definitely relate to that. I do it all the time.

1 Like

It turned out very nice! Nice that you worked together on it.

Ive used this technique in custom notebooks. This is good inspiration for cards, nicely done.

2 Likes

that’s really nicely done.

one thought, if you use veneer instead of 1/8" wood, it would probably even still slide into an envelope. obviously that’s a different effect, but still a possible option.

1 Like

That is lovely! :heart: