Greyscale engrave

Here’s an engrave I did on cedar the other day. I think it turned out pretty cool. Bonus points if you recognize who it is =P

25 Likes

Looks really good!
Overwatch - zenyata (sp)?

where did you get the graphic?

4 Likes

Definitely Zenyatta.

Can you post the original grey-scale? I’d be interested to see how close the engraving follows.

2 Likes

Keep in mind its on cedar, so the woodgrain gets in the way a little =P

4 Likes

Thanks man! My girlfriend said she found it on pinterest.

This looks AWESOME! Absolutely love it! I particularly like that the wood looks antiqued. Fabulous engrave.

1 Like

I’m actually impressed by how well it captured the grungy sort of textures in the original. Just seeing the first photo, I was thinking the splotchy grey was all a result of the engraving, but it’s great to see that it’s a very close approximation of the washes in the source.

1 Like

what kind of scale is that? How big is it?

So this was on our K40? That’s amazing (I’m still cutting out shapes only- haven’t gotten to raster with any success). Nice job.

1 Like

I thought I was immune to the K40 fever, but it’s going to be hard not to catch it if you all keep posting stuff like this.

5 Likes

It’s about 4*6. I had a 4" plank I’ve been cutting off sections of to engrave things.

Yeah, it’s on the k40. Photograv was recommended to me in order to process the image to make it a bit more laser friendly. I checked it out but it costs like $350, so I just used the sample image they provided to reverse engineer a photoshop action to reproduce what it does. Worked pretty well.

1 Like

Can’t say I havent had a lot of fun using it. However there’s a lot of repairs and modifications etc that I’ve been having to constantly do, that make it a pain. Severely limited from the get-go. If you can buy a model up with air assist, height adjusting bed, and honeycomb you’ll be a lot happier. A good ventilation system would be nice too.

2 Likes

You can do everything PhotoGrav does by hand if you’re willing to spend a bit of time on the image. A half-dozen steps vs PG’s send it & set it, but then you can do stuff PhotoGrav doesn’t have presets for yet.

Yeah, I did that already. Didn’t take long at all. Made a photoshop action for it so now it’s a single button press. From the looks of the output I think it works pretty well =P

1 Like

With your GF :glowforge:, are planning to do the Greyscale Engrave?

Ive done one already! but I plan on doing a lot more, with real photos etc

3 Likes

Ha I didnt look at the top of this thread when I replied. Definitely gonna do another one of these for comparison!

4 Likes