Grid Purse / Magazine Rack / Storage Box

Again, testing the AD123D Make slicing function. This one uses the Linear slice. 1/4 inch plywood or acrylic for a little more strength. (Steps same as the Ball Bowl.)

Original design. I thought maybe it could be fun to weave fabric strips (cut with the GF of course! :slight_smile:) through the slats for a different look, or you could make some cool decorator magazine racks out of it without the optional handles. (Two styles - I prefer the linear one with this design.)

Programs Used:

Rhino
AI
AutoDesk 123D Make

Assembly Instructions:

Files:

12" x 12" 1/4" plywood layout

Grid Box Files_.22inch_SVG.zip (4.5 KB)

grid purse 2d handles.zip (1.6 KB)

Note: Files updated for actual 0.22 inch plywood thickness.

39 Likes

Clever. Nice alternative to the standard magazine boxes.

1 Like

That looks great!

With that many notches and thin sections I would strongly suggest you stick with plywood, or if using acrylic that you anneal it first.

7 Likes

Attractive! Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure what will work to cut it yet - it would need to be a quarter inch thick, but I was thinking wood - maybe hardwood?

Might be too expensive.

This is just lovely. If you make it out of hardwood, you’ll have a challenge because the grain makes it weaker in one direction. You could potentially put a joint at the corners to the grain runs the long way, or you could use plywood instead. I think Josh is right that it might not be quite thick enough to get the strength you’d need from acrylic.

8 Likes

Plywood is okay too. (Didn’t know that about the grain with the hardwood…might have to rethink some of the other designs.) Or I can certainly experiment a little with making the slats larger for more strength.

This is very helpful already. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Okay here’s a slightly modified version of the file in case the first one turns out to be a bit too fragile for practical applications… :slight_smile:

The problem I’m hitting is that the maximum reasonable thickness the machine can cut is going to be about 1/4 inch. So the sides of the box are limited to that. The ends of the box and the bottom have been thickened, which gives more notch width. But it changes the assembly, and so far, I haven’t designed any kerf into it, so it might need to be sanded just a bit to slide the parts into place.

Not a lot of working room to play with.

In order to swing this version - I had to modify the slot size to the expected 0.22 inch actual material size for plywood, (as mentioned by Dan in another post),…I needed the clearance to center the base a bit more.

And interestingly enough, thickening the bottom of the design gave it a solid bottom, not slats.
(I personally prefer the slats, but the solid bottom is more practical.)

So anyway, if the first one doesn’t work, maybe this one will.
:slight_smile:

Assembly:

Files

Redid the layout for the files onto two and a half 12" x 20" sheets - otherwise it took six 12" x 12" sheets

(One thing AD123D Make does not do well is layouts. It doesn’t rotate for placement.)

Also renamed this to Grid Box to differentiate it from the first shot at it.

(Moved files to first post.)

9 Likes

For cast acrylic I usually find 1/4" or 6mm is actually .236" :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome to nominal sizes. This would be a good candidate for a parametric design.

1 Like

Good to know that measurement on the acrylic! :smile:

Hey, got a question for you guys who do this a lot…do you design in inches or mm as a rule?

All the conversion is giving my poor little calculator quite a workout. (I generally design metric for 3D printing, and I’ve gotten used to it, but i still think in terms of inches and everything you run across with wood and acrylics tends to be in inches.)

Just wondered which way you found easier.

4 Likes

I design in mm. Since materials aren’t the size they claim (that whole nominal size thing) I have to do the math anyway. The 25.4 conversion is easy enough.

If you have an Android phone it’s faster to ask (voice) Google what the value is than type it into the calculator if you don’t do the math in your head.

5 Likes

Chuckle! I’ve got an iPhone but I have that annoying voice business silenced. (Locator services…it’s just too creepy! :smirk:)

1 Like

I love that you can do math in the google searchbar!

Other fun things things to type into a google searchbar:

“Do A Barrel Roll”
“Recursion”
“Atari Breakout” (type this in google images)

and of course
https://www.google.com/sky/

12 Likes

This would be an excellent way to use tiny fingers so the main grain direction is the same in each case. That way 4 straits would make a rectangle, If you used 1/2" hard maple it would be very strong and you could cut it through without turning it to Ash, As straight pieces it would take a lot less wood than making rectangles, and maple is about the least costly alternative. By cutting 1/2 inch lengths in 1.2" wood you could cut them on the side as welland so have all the interlocking on any side needed.

My experience with maple (not a lot) is that the cross grain is stronger than other woods as well as some pendants I made have had the ring at the top break easily due to that problem.

1 Like