Gridfinity & The First Order Retrievability

I recently started working with the Gridfinity ecosystem to get some drawers organized, and decided to 3D print a set of storage bins to sit on top of my Glowforge using Adam Savage’s First Order Retrievability as the inspiration. Basically, you should never have to move one tool to get to another, and any tool you will use should be immediately accessible from the place from which you work. Gridfinity is a direct rip off of Alexandre Chappel’s system, but open source and free, which is why I chose to try that first.

Most Gridfinity designs are simple storage bins, but I liked the modularity of the system. It can evolve over time to fit my workflow, but I think this is a good start. I customized my grid using Fusion 360 to hold all of the things I use while at my Glowforge, including a new escutcheon with honeycomb pin trays. No one outside of the Glowforge community would care about many of these custom boxes, but if anyone is interested in the “bins” I created, these are available for free on Thangs.com.

39 Likes

Fantastic and Happy birthday as well!
:partying_face: :tada: :partying_face:

6 Likes

Watched and the video of what to make is so great that I wish I had someone in the Tampa area that can help get my 3D-printer able to make anything at all :sob:

4 Likes

That looks so totally perfect! It appeals to my my organizational mind.
Happy birthday, indeed, @pubultrastar ! :partying_face: :tada: :champagne: :star_struck:

4 Likes

I was just given a resin printer from a friend who upgraded…this may be the thing I print to try it out!

5 Likes

I love organization!

3 Likes

That is way too organized for me!! I can’t find anything unless it’s in a pile of stuff on my work bench LOL

5 Likes

Amazing @pubultrastar, and Happy B-Day!
It makes me want to be organized myself; alas no such thing in my future. :sob:

3 Likes

Wow! Very inspirational!

3 Likes

Ohhhh …. Sweet! Love organizational posts. Nice to be able to have quick access to what you need.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.