Grooves

It is possible to make grooves with the Glowforge machine?
, or not is recommend.

Thank You
Hernan

Not enough information for me to go on. What type of grove, in what material?

Do you have a photo or drawing of what you want?

If I understand your question -
I have used engraving to create a channel for a sliding top to a box. It only required enough testing to get the depth and clearanceI was after.

1 Like

Yes, I do it all the time. :slightly_smiling_face:

It takes some experimenting to get the grooves cut to the depth that you want. I’ll generally run a few small test engraves with Full Power, High speed and a fairly high LPI. Then I’ll increase the LPI to take it deeper. (Make your hole a little larger than needed, deep engraves tend to load up one side with resin. Or you can scrape it out after.)

3 Likes

it is possible. it’s not particularly efficient and, as @jules said, it requires experimentation to get the depth you want.

3 Likes

Like this?

I had a harder time keeping the ears to fit in the grooves and ended up with a piece of 1/16 BB plywood. Some work with a needle file was needed to get sizes just right at the end

6 Likes

It was in the title!

I am surprised the forum software didn’t suggest the post before you submitted your question.

4 Likes

Thanks Markevans for the help

The grove is about 9 inches long by 1/4 wide at a depth of 1/8

Hernan

2 Likes

Thanks for the help

Hernan

Thanks Jules for the help

What power, speed and LPI could you use?

Hernan

Thanks for the help

Hernan

Thanks

rbtdanforth

for the help

Hernan

It depends on the material, there is no way to come up with a set of numbers that works in all cases. :slightly_smiling_face:

But what I do when testing a new material is create a very small filled test square, about 1/2", then start with the HD engrave settings. They will probably not engrave as deeply as you want the first time, but with the next test, just increase the LPI. Try it again and see how that one does. If it gets halfway there, for the third test, use those settings and two passes. Just keep increasing the LPI and the number of passes until you get it deep enough.

1 Like

Okay, I undersatnd now and @Jules has the answer above. Good luck with your project.

For every new material I make one of these…

It can be used even if all there is, is a single 3x12 piece of wood, and it would not do to use up the whole piece of wood to know what the settings should be. That can inform me of the settings needed and how prone to burning that wood is.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.