Had my GF for a week! - my first few projects

Hello! My baby arrived on Dec 29th, so while I’ve been having a blast with it, I had kids at home and holidays/birthdays happening over that time, so I didn’t get my forum duties completed.

Fixing that now.

Sharing my first few fun projects!

I started with this butterfly out of draft board - tried two engrave settings and cut a maple plywood piece to slip into the opening. This was before reading up on the design end of kerf stuff (so, note about myself: fantastic intuitive grasp of things, horrible tech-term memory).

Then I got bored and couldn’t make it to the art store (or wait for Amazon) to get resin fill to play with, so I broke out the glitter. Because I really wanted to do something! So, I played with different types of fill and glue. My 10yo daughter is very happy to be the owner of this fabulous butterfly :wink:

Next I did this tree - combo of cut, engrave, and score on maple ply. I want to fill the open spaces with resin and do the resin painting thing. It will either be awesome, or not. Either way I’ll learn a lot! I’ll update if it turns out awesome :slight_smile:

Finally, today - and this was the BEST THING EVER to be cutting when I discovered the draw problem with my exhaust - I cut out this leather (it’s roughly 5" x 5"), just to test cutting non proof grade leather. I perform professionally at the MN Renaissance Festival, so I know leather workers and wanted to show them I had the capabilities to do some sub work for them if needed.
IMG_20180106_145601279

95 Likes

Holy Moly! Those are fantastic! When I started reading, I thought the first butterfly image was the finished product, which also looks awesome, by the way.

(I’ll be over here feeling inadequate, if you need me.)

7 Likes

I feel equally inadequate - there are some incredible artists here, and really, REALLY knowledgeable folks, too! But this community is so kind that it’s not so scary to show off work!

6 Likes

Yowsers! Great first projects! (and like @Esteele said, the unfinished ones look pretty hot) :smile:

5 Likes

Haha! I posted it for my friends on Facebook, and half loved the first draft and half loved the glitter filled one (again, it only was filled with glitter because I wanted to do something more!).

I’m 50/50 on which one I like best, but will admit I have a sparkly problem :wink:

7 Likes

Technique and skill are one thing. Desire and creativity are another. Your first works demonstrate you have what it takes. Thanks for taking the time to post! very creative.

9 Likes

Shucks! :blush:

Oh gosh, I love your projects! Please, please do post the resin painted one when you are done. I have a particular interest in resin right now.

6 Likes

Ditto that, me! You made some really fine stuff! I’ll look forward to seeing that resin painting.

5 Likes

Very nice. Looking forward to the day I can do that.

1 Like

Ok, these are really awesome projects! Love them!

1 Like

You are a very talented person. I will look forward to seeing your post,

1 Like

Wow! :butterfly:
Great job! Can’t wait to see what you make after more than a week!

2 Likes

Awesome butterfly. I think I love the first picture the best!!

1 Like

A creative mind with a new tool can expand to new levels of creativity. I wonder if Michelangelo got as excited over a new set of brushes as we are over our pew pew pew. Hmmm

4 Likes

Oh, I love that idea!!

This has to be my favorite “look what I did” posts. You’re a natural!

2 Likes

I saw a bit about your background on your profile - my dad is an engineer, and I was raised helping him with his home-based contract engineering business. He’s always been really good about encouraging us to exercise our logic and creativity in equal measure.

All that to say: I take praise from engineers very seriously, and I thank you for your very kind words!

2 Likes

Great projects! I really like the tree art…and the leather is really a great way to show off what you can do!

1 Like

Fantastic. The butterflies are really great examples of talent…

1 Like