Had to Do It!

That is what I was hoping to hear. :slight_smile:

For this slip fit = no force required to assembly, just slip together. IF would require a bit of force to put together.

Thanks

4 Likes

That makes sense!

2 Likes

FYI: the automatic kerf compensation is not yet enabled on the Glowforge so whether the fit is loose or tight is part of the design file.

4 Likes

I half suspected that, but was most interested in whether the parts had kerf compensation modeled in or not.

5 Likes

I’m going to guess not, since they were modeled for a different laser, and you tend to adjust for that based on actual measured kerf and and material you are cutting it in.

@smcgathyfay could confirm it though…she created the files.

4 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, I see I didn’t say that in my post, but that’s actually why I was asking… I really loved that shading. Added another layer of depth.

2 Likes

If @smcgathyfay confirms that’s cool and if not I’ll figure it out PDQ with my own GF. I’m playing with some simple design right now for when that time comes. I’m just knocking some of the rust off of my old designer skills and absolutely loving using Fusion 360.

Now quit wasting time on me! :slight_smile: Thanks again.

6 Likes

My cousin is so going to want one. She is always posting pics of her hedgehog Quigley.

2 Likes

The measurement was configured for a specific thickness, but in this design, it doesn’t need to be tight fitting…so in this case its not as critical. The way it sits, it can actually be loose and still work just fine.

11 Likes

My wife has been the epitome of patience as far as waiting for the GF to arrive is concerned but i dare not show her the ‘Squee Hedgehog’ or she is going to be bugging me (and then Dan) for this machine to arrive ASAP.

Nice work (and damned cute)

11 Likes

Love the colour/shades on him! :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

For those who like the smoky shading on the hedgehog (like me) there should be a way to “do it in stages” with the Glowforge interface so that you can engrave the outline parts, remove part of the masking, and then engrave the areas where you want to keep all of that nice shading directly on the wood.

What I’m not sure of, since the Proofgrade has a nice semi-gloss surface finish, is whether i can get the residue to stay on there long term. I might have to experiment with some Krylon Spray or something like that, because you don’t want that stuff coming off on your phone case.

12 Likes

Or…you could just design it into the design with gradients…

13 Likes

Good point! (Excellent idea too!) :smiley::+1:

4 Likes

So, can someone make a Brush with hedgehog spine texture?

7 Likes

I’ve got a hedgie idea:

Hedgie playin’ a guitar.
Caption: KEEP ON ROCKIN’ IN THE SQUEE WORLD!

7 Likes

Extra points for the Neil Young reference!

3 Likes

Was the artwork for ‘squeeee’ the hedgehog posted? I can’t seem to find it

No, that one was private. (She never posted it.) :slightly_smiling_face:

that explains it :smile: tx!

1 Like