Hal9000 / Movie Prop reproductions

One of the projects I wanted to do with my Glowforge was reproducing movie props. I found plans for a Hal9000 model on Thingiverse ( Thingiverse Hal9000 HAL 9000 Replica by pburgess - Thingiverse ) that gave me proper cutting specs. It also referenced additional electronics on Adafruit (which I’m still deciding whether to add or stick with a basic bluetooth speaker.

The results so far have been thrilling for me. Cut out of black acrylic, and then side supports were spray painted metallic silver. The “grill area” was cut, sprayed, and then put back in the 'forge to great the speaker “grill”.

The whole piece is then held together by series of nuts and bolts. The Hal logo and eye are currently paper printouts, but will look at printing logo on photo paper for more gloss look, and getting a button eye from Adafruit to get more of the rounded look (plus potential for electronic enhancements).

36 Likes

I like that.

2 Likes

Very cool

1 Like

Worthy of the original movie. Poor Dave.

3 Likes

Very nice start. You will have to (don’t let me tell you what to do but really) stick a rasp pi in there and program it up with all of HALS standard answers as responses to standard questions and then defer to one of the services for questions that are not in that set.

6 Likes

Very cool

1 Like

Open the pod bay doors, Hal…

3 Likes

A great look! For myself I would want it combined with a Ring Doorbell and put it on the front door.

5 Likes

That would be fun mid to do, though this design would have to be really shrunk down to fit - this Hal is quite large.

1 Like

Avafruit has this developed around an arduino for sounds ( AvafruitHal9000. Have considered that or just putting in a Bluetooth speaker kit to it. Depends how interactive to have it.
There was a company that had had reproduction rights from the studio that was going to do a full on system for collectors, but they went bankrupt last fall before making any. They had a side piece with a screen that they were animating graphics from the show with.

2 Likes

So much the better? :rofl:

1 Like

If it was a little thicker you could slip alexa in there…
Looks great.

1 Like

The metal in this piece really sells that the sprayed pieces are also metal. Talking about size, how large is it?

1 Like

I was thinking of Mycroft:

You can change the name/wake word. So, it should be able to respond to “Hal.”

“Hal, open the pod bay doors” would, of course, trigger the networked garage door opener.

4 Likes

Now I need this also, although I really I have little thought to privacy given the amount of Alexas, OK google‘s, iPhones, nest, wyze, ring, in our house. essentially we are a reality TV program for somebody.

2 Likes

It measures almost 13-3/4" high by 4-3/4" wide. The original design said it was slightly off from the original prop, but made to accommodate the specific Avafruit button. I’m guessing it would not take too much to adjust and match the original Nikon 8mm lens.

(as an aside: " HAL 9000, the eerily calm computer in Stanley Kubrick’s epic science fiction film ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’, was voted the 13th greatest villain in the American Film Institute’s 100 Years… 100 Heroes & Villains."

2 Likes

agreed.

1 Like

An interesting list. The top of my heros list would be the actual people in that list. Many of the villains would also be the actual people, but none of those are on the list.

1 Like

Foolproof and incapable of error!

1 Like

I was watching the movie Wall-E (again) last night. I’m happy to see older actors still getting work in Hollywood. Although I have to say that Hal has been a bit type-casted.

4 Likes