Halloween Cat puzzles on LED light up stand

Front loaded with pics, since we all know that is what we are here for :joy_cat::jack_o_lantern::joy_cat:

Last year I did a tiny run of Cat-O-Lantern puzzles with Colorshop woods (that I had leftover from when they were only !$7 a sheet). It was a bit of a last minute idea, so I ended up constructing a display stand/frame from black spray painted plywood, and included a CR2032 with a couple of LEDS, a small acrylic holder for the battery, and masking tape to keep it all together :joy_cat::sweat_smile:

This year I knew that I could definitely sell more, so I upped my display-stand game by cutting and engraving LED light up stands, a much more professional looking option!

And because I love cats, of course I added a new puzzle design ā€“ a Scaredy Cat! I found that the black Colorshop wood doesnā€™t need masking on either side when cutting, so that saved me oodles of time. I would just use a soapy squeezed out microfibre cloth to clean off as much smoke/resin deposit as possible on both sides.

This is the biggest puzzle project that I have made so far ā€“ most steps involved (cut puzzle, clean/remove masking on both sides, cut and engrave acrylic, cut stickers, cut bases, bend acrylic, glue on bases, not to mention ordering all the supplies: acrylic, Colorshop woods, bases, gauze bags, and more logo stickers to label the tins I already had, then QCing all the bags and bases to check for holes or non-working electronics :dizzy_face:), and most individual orders shipped out in a week (22!).

I also cut out custom masking stickers for the backs of the puzzles (stuck on overhead clear plastic sheets, which worked much better than the sanded parchment paper that I used last year!). And bent the acrylic at the base to give it a slight viewing angle, and glued on a base to the acrylic for resting spot for the puzzle. Did you know that a flat iron for hair gets hot enough to easily get acrylic to the bending point?

I did one batch release and held a Facebook Live birthday party on October 8th at 3 Cat Max (celebrating being in business with my Glowforge for 5 yrs!), and sold out later that weekend. Iā€™ve been madly finishing, packing, and shipping, and making more for another batch update ā€“ Iā€™m crossing my fingers that once some of the puzzle people start posting their new puzzles on social media, Iā€™ll be able to sell out of the rest of the Halloween puzzles and not have to carry over stock till next year!

Have you ever done a Facebook Live event? Or has an item that you make gotten popular in a specific community? Iā€™m lucky to be in the smallest niche of puzzle-making, where it is a tight but large community, and I can design crazy elaborate puzzles that people want to collect. Granted, I donā€™t make as much as some of the high-quantity producers on here, but it is nice to get virtual wedding invites, family puzzle night photos, and cat pics from my customer/friends! :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

37 Likes

Well done! I remember when Colorshop woods were less expensive (sigh).

I bet you have big things in store for Christmas as soon as these sell out.

9 Likes

Ha ha these are great

8 Likes

Thank you for that. This place is starting to be like the average recipe site where you need to learn a personā€™s life history before they get to the point.

As for the project, clever and well executed. Nice work. Iā€™m surprised you donā€™t see more light sneaking through the puzzle cuts.

14 Likes

Did not know that! Will have to try it. Hmmā€¦maybe my round curler will work as well?

11 Likes

Love your whimsical puzzles!

9 Likes

These puzzles are so awesome!! Love that you made them into lights as well!

8 Likes

Thank you! I didnā€™t know how good I had it when I bought about 20 sheets of the Colorshop back in the day :sob: And nope, nothing for Christmas. My GF laser tube is getting weaker and canā€™t cut through 1/4" maple HD ply nice and reliably anymore. My in-house engineer (aka spouse) and I have decided to build an additional laser over the next couple of months, so Iā€™ll be on puzzle-hiatus till January! Also, gotta recharge that creative sponge ā€“ it has been well rung this past year :heart_eyes_cat::sweat_smile::dizzy_face:

7 Likes

Thank you @wenning08, @arh2, and @ptodd!

I donā€™t lie when I say I get to try all sorts of weird ideas for puzzle making :joy_cat: I have the supplies to cast my own molds, and make resin or concrete puzzles in the future. The place that I purchased the resin from also sells the gummy stuff that fish bait worms are made off, and I have been known to consider making some disgusting and squishy puzzles :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

@ellencadwell, if you try it, leave the masking on if you can. I used clear acrylic from Estreetplastics.com, and it comes with the brown, slightly waxy feeling masking. When I tried heating up the acrylic straight with the hair tongs, it had a tendency to stick and had to be popped off. I picked up the flat hair iron from a local thrift store ā€“ my hair is straight as a pin, so I have never used one before!

6 Likes

Love the cat, nicely done.

3 Likes

Thank you @timjedwards! The Scaredy Cat has tiny pieces ā€“ about 1/2" average, and about double as many as the Cat-O-Lantern. I put a warning on it on my site, because old hands and old eyes might not liking working with teeny dark pieces :grimacing:

@evansd2, recipe sites tend to drive me up the wall too! At least most of them now have a link at the top that says ā€œTake me to the Recipeā€ :joy_cat: Sometimes the story has a useful tip about how to make the item, but it is so buried in drossā€¦ in other words, I feel ya!

There is probably more light, but my crowd would consider that a feature :joy_cat::jack_o_lantern::heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

Both of these designs are great! Love the cat-o-lantern.

2 Likes

I always love your puzzles!

2 Likes

Awww, thank you @cynd11 and @laughingmoonleather :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I recently made a hybrid puzzle ā€“ half lasered and half scroll sawn. It turned out pretty interesting, but I sure do need to practice on the scroll saw to get anywhere near the fluidity of puzzle cut shapes as I can make with my tablet+inkscape! :joy_cat:

4 Likes

You can make your own very easily! Introducing the spit of the unicorn, formally known as ā€œunicorn spitā€ (yes, that is the name!) Making your own colored woods The blues and the greens are same color; varying the number of layers to make it darker.

My butcher block desk from IKEA was a plain unfinished butcher block. My boyfriend (permanently promoted after that) stained the butcherblock with Unicorn Spit.

Helpful Tidbit: Do NOT use Frog tape with the Spit; it goes under the tape and will spread like stain does. You can see a few spots in my picture. But 6-7 years later, this desktop (on top of the standing powered desk base)ā€¦still brings a smile to my face.

5 Likes

Even with a little bleed through it still looks greatā€¦

5 Likes

That looks great! It isnā€™t quite the same as Colorshop, because Colorshop wood is clear finished on both sides, much like Proofgrade. I tried Unicorn Spit, found it was an thinned down acrylic instead of gel stain like I thought it might be. Still cool though, and the name is great :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™ll let my husband know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting. I bought it from the lady that created Unicorn Spit (from city we lived in) and was in her shop where she mixed it all up. I didnā€™t get the impression it was like an acrylic, but it also wasnā€™t a gel stainā€¦but it worked well for our purpose. If it stains the wood in a color wouldnā€™t it be about the same and much cheaper? Or would the clear finish not be the same? Really curious. Yeah I thought it was a funny name and the look on my momā€™s face when she asked me the name of the stainā€¦was priceless! :rofl:

2 Likes