Handheld viewer for eclipse

Found a reference here for 3d printable viewers.
2D/3D Printable Pinhole Projectors | Total Solar Eclipse 2017.

Decided to make my own design…for Oklahoma. Not cool enough to travel out of town for 100%…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So we will see around 87%
I can street vend so I’m making several to sell at local events here on Monday.

The red one is sign plastic (nametag material like LaserMax from Rowmark.
The other 2 are mdf painted with white then using the old print on label paper with an inkjet technique, added color…lol

Design printed on label paper

After applied to white painted mdf

31 Likes

Very clever. I like the % of totality you scored in it too so people would know based on where they are.

3 Likes

Sweet! Those are great keepsakes. :squee::squee::squee:

I made a stack of pinhole viewers for my wife’s workplace by cutting a 2mm circle in the middle of cardstock sheets left over from a prior project. The GF cut through a dozen or so sheets in 3 seconds flat.

2 Likes

That’s what I figured so I put a loop hole on the top that either you can wear them around your neck while you’re waiting to watch the eclipse and then you could use it as a Christmas ornament LOL

3 Likes

How clever! Never occurred to me to make eclipse keepsakes, and we are in 100% totality here.

3 Likes

Great design as always! :grinning:

1 Like

Very nice!

1 Like

Nicely done. As @jamesdhatch said, scoring the percentages in was a nice touch. These would make cool necklaces after you’re done using them. :wink:

1 Like

The two bottom photos could be viewers for Colorado. :sunglasses:
State-themed objects are tough in a rectangular state. :thinking:

3 Likes

Texas could wind up being a whole face mask. :smile:

3 Likes

“5mm hole from 3 feet” (heads off to fire up the Dropforge)

2 Likes

many of my friends and family are driving North this weekend. Somebody just called to ask for my trailer, somebody else wants my cooler.
I’m - alas - sitting here.
At least I get a pinhole camera made on my glowforge.
I’ll probably make a Utah version and share among my dwindling circle of lame friends that will stay put.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful design. Keepsaking is really a great idea.

6 Likes