Hanging Around

I will admit to some small measure of jealousy. :wink:
Not only do I know what I am missing, but I never got to try half the fancy stuff you all have available!

Not to worry though, I am sure my machine will get here (ahem) ANY DAY NOW.

17 Likes

I hope you get the first production unit out of the gate. (You deserve it after keeping us all occupied for so long.) :wink:

8 Likes

Well thanks! I ordered fairly early so I am not so worried about it. I have mostly moved on to other projects, but I really enjoy seeing everything you pre-release and ongoing beta folks are making!

9 Likes

Here, Here. His should be the second out the door, right behind @AuntiMame, and another user here who I think has a similar diagnosis. I think she would balk at that, but most of us have plenty of time.
I would gladly wait a few days for that.

My ears are ringing! Considering your calm nature, that gave me a good laugh.

10 Likes

Just fantastic! Gotta have it!

2 Likes

How about a marble? I’ve got a scrollsaw pattern book that has a couple of balance toys in it and they spec marbles for theirs. Ball bearings would have more weight for a given size though. Nice job. Love the guy.

7 Likes

You can buy 1" ones off Amazon for a bit less than $1 each. Search on steel balls or steel balls monkey fist. Smaller sizes are correspondingly cheaper. You could dip your toes in before finding somewhere to get 100 at a clip :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Huh! Thanks that’s helpful…I probably don’t need 100 off the bat. :wink:

2 Likes

I make monkey fists with the Scouts. Good for throwing a line over a branch for a bear bag.

Never get under a monkey fist :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Oh I wouldn’t dream of it!

Unless you have a Wrist Rocket.

7 Likes

Thought that sounded familiar…that’s a paracord knot, right?
(At one point I was going to learn how to tie one of those.)

2 Likes

Not really. Well it is now but it originated with sailing ships a couple hundred years ago. The center was lead shot and it would be tied to a line so when a sailor threw the line to the dock it would carry and not fall short.

You can make it in your hand but now people use winding looms and stuff. And paracord.

It’s a complicated knot so it keeps 13 yr old boys busy for a long time while they tie it. :grinning:

9 Likes

It keeps 18 year old sailors busy, too. Civilians call it macramé, but Boatswain’s Mates call it “fancy work.” :wink:

Courtesy Frayed Knot Arts

29 Likes

That is GREAT! Thank you for sharing it!!

3 Likes

Even my dog thinks this is awesome! Just the kinda stuff I dream of making. Thanks for the inspiration <3

4 Likes

@rpegg Truly inspirational . I will be doing these in a Fisherman , since I live on the coast, as well.

2 Likes

Never too late! Ha …something about old dog… new tricks or some such. Ha I actually have my dad’s Merchant Seamans Manual from his WWII days. Pretty Cool! If you do decide to give it a try, I suggest either David Hopper’s “Stormdrane” videos (also on pinterist) or TIAT (tying it all together) . Both are on YouTube. And you never know when knots will come in handy. You never know when a daughters bad choice of a boyfriend needs to be handled. Ha

6 Likes

Snort! :smile:

1 Like

That’s why it’s always good to meet new ones whilst cleaning a gun :slight_smile:

Really makes the daughter roll her eyes and wish I was traveling :smile:

5 Likes

My father had a way of getting his daughters’ boyfriends to mow the lawn. No lawn moving? No dating a daughter. Well, at least I knew which one really liked me. :upside_down_face:

14 Likes