Hanging Christmas Pyramid 2021

Well, that’s finished… :grin:

This is a personal project I’ve been thinking about for a couple of years. I’ve been holed up for the past few weeks converting an old German scrollsaw pattern picked up by a friend in a German market to a series of SVGs - probably 15-20 hours of Illustrator work, 6 hours of laser time, and at least that much weeding.

Twelve unique scenes on the bottom two tiers plus six identical pinecone motifs on the third and twelve blades. Everything except the center, the wooden pins that fit into it, and the candle cups were made from Light Maple Proofgrade.

61 Likes

Very nice. Was just going to ask if you had pictures but see you are adding them. :smiley: Could not tell if those were real candles or lights in the video.

4 Likes

Thanks! Yes, those are real candles - it’s not a true German Christmas without something flammable. :wink: :candle: :fire: :fire_extinguisher: :fire_engine: :woman_firefighter:

21 Likes

:rofl:

Do they produce enough heat to continue the movement?

7 Likes

Sure, as shown in the video. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

That is fantastic! I remember having the small metal angel ones when I was growing up. I was always fascinated how they work by the candle heat. Yours is beautiful - well worth the time and effort you put into it.

9 Likes

That is incredible!

4 Likes

WOW!.just WOW!

7 Likes

What an impressive display! Love the real candles!

6 Likes

Oh wow, your best one yet! Don’t burn the house down now…

6 Likes

Oh my…this is just wonderful. You’ve elevated your design in more ways than one…literally.

7 Likes

Oh my, that is quite the project and turned out just perfect! Love it.

5 Likes

Fantastic! Great project!

3 Likes

This is just amazing! Fantastic job!

3 Likes

So great! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

That’s fabulous!

Converting patterns always seems like it’s going to be quick and easy…and then 10-20 hours later you’re so close :stuck_out_tongue: Beautiful job on this one!

6 Likes

Wow! It’s so intricate! We’ll done. :clap:

4 Likes

That’s some lovely work! Congratulations on such a beautiful build. I must admit, I was expecting the Hanging Pyramids of Giza…

3 Likes

This is amazing. I appreciate your slogging through the conversion to SVG. It can be a bit meditative to get into such clear focus without distraction. But it takes endurance. There result is worth it for sure.

6 Likes

And it paid off in honing skills – my ability to trace complex shapes using Bezier curves definitely powered up a few levels on this one.

1 Like