Harp decoration

You might check out Sue Richards

1 Like

Sylvia Woods is another good resource.
https://www.harpcenter.com/

Years ago, I started playing harp to learn how to read music. and made a harp too(not as nice as yours). Very rewarding, and don’t get frustrated when the finger have a mind of their own.

3 Likes

I do have a Sylvia Woods book lying around somewhere. This project actually started more than 20 years ago, when I bought the blueprints. I recall buying the Woods book around the same time. Then life kind of got in the way for an extended period…

1 Like

Great harp! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

I love it…something different!!

You truly have an awesome sense of humor!! You are always making me laugh!!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! I strung it while watching Perseverance land this afternoon. String ends still need to be trimmed, and it will take a few days until it will hold tune, but at least it hasn’t imploded yet…

13 Likes

Its a thing of beauty. Thank you for sharing it with us. :blush:

2 Likes

Is that because the strings are still stretching or because the wood is compressing under the tension?

5 Likes

A truly magnificent looking instrument… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Wow! Amazing!

A really terrific design, :heart_eyes: A harp for the ages :100:

Both, actually. The strings do stretch, and the harp changes shape under tension. The soundboard develops a belly, as it gets pulled up in the middle while its edges are held tight to the soundbox. It’s a little scary to hear it creak and pop!

5 Likes

You’re all so kind and encouraging! I’m giving myself a B- (and the Glowforge an A), but you make me feel like a kid whose drawing just got put up on the refrigerator. :slight_smile: Thank you!

1 Like

Your soundboard (and harp) came out great! I built my own harp about two years ago from a pre-cut kit and have been teaching myself to play since then - I think building the instrument first was one of the most rewarding parts of the whole process. I’d love to hear a sound clip once the tuning has settled :grin:

2 Likes

Wow!

I dont care if its silly mistakes and corrections. I’d love to see the behind the scenes. I really would.

Like you, I put the “learn to play” part after the “build the harp” part, so no one wants to hear anything I can play yet! I built a little 22 string harp from a kit many years ago, and started to learn then, but life got in the way for a couple of decades, so I’m back to square one. It’s way harder than playing the piano. :grinning:

3 Likes

I have still photos of the various stages of construction, but I’m not sure they’d belong here.

2 Likes

I’d love to see them. There are a lot of makers here that would love to see more. Plus Glowforge was used and highlighted so the thread would still fit the category (IMO).

2 Likes