Harriet Tubman stamp - updated

Urjac. I’m sorry that my post apparently was against community guidelines and multiple people flagged me as such. I though I was asking a simple request of a community that I have been a part of since 2015.

Now I’m asking to please not share the file that you found on thingiverse. I have had the file but haven’t had much success getting it to work with my glowforge. I’ve had trouble with the correct settings for the pink rubber. If you have any tips you might be willing to share, but not the file that I already have, I would be eternally grateful for your help.

I repeat… Do not share the file. That is not what I’m asking for. I already have the file from thingiverse.

By the way… Excilent job on your Tubman stamp. I plan to make many of them when I get things straight because my sister and her friends would love them, and my wife works at an ATM company so if I can get her to stamp a few thousand $20 bills that would be great also.

6 Likes

It is a definite stretch to call this political. And since it’s not even breaking any laws, it’s not even civil disobedience. If we can’t share anything that’s passed through our government for debate, we’ll have a pretty empty forum.

5 Likes

The whole reason the policy is there is to not put someone on the spot. You’re not going to change the policies, so I’d suggest you accept it and move on. This has been discussed many times, GF believes strongly in it. Trust me the forum is still useful, hyperbolic claims that it’s not aren’t very helpful.

6 Likes

I’ve moved on. Please see my post above. I will however remember to never share files again and if anyone PMs me to ask for them, they will immediately be report as rule breakers. I am on the straight and narrow and on my best behavior from now on.

:grin:

The stamp is fantastic.

For the record, civil disobedience typically refers to breaking a law. Since you aren’t, this is simply art.

5 Likes

Being that the stamp I used from Thingiverse, which I expect is the one they used, is a CC with Attribution required. This post definitely needs to cite their sources and as such asking for the file makes sense.

If everyone is going to complain about asking for a public file, then they need to also complain about people not properly giving attribution where required (the original source.)

4 Likes

It’s not about complaining. It’s about the GF TOS. As for the notion that you can’t point out one broken rule without running through every other rule that might be broken… No. It doesn’t work that way.

There is a rule about asking for files. Someone broke it and some else pointed that out. It could - and should - have ended there.

3 Likes

The legality of Creative Commons supersedes the legality of the Glowforge EULA, that is kind of the point.

edit:

My point is that this post is in violation, since they pointed out that they took the file from elsewhere.

edit 2:

It’s obviously a derivative work being that it was all over the new a few months ago, Glowforge likely needs better rules:

1 Like

I understand your point. I just think you can make it without negating the other point. They are not mutually exclusive. And whether or not the OP should have shared, GF rules still stand in terms of asking for a share.

In kindergarten terms, two wrongs don’t make a right.

6 Likes

Actually it is sort of a violation if it’s a thingiverse file, since in fact it violates THEIR terms to not share, since generally you are supposed to share the attribution file (which includes the link):

Really comes down to a Dan vs. Bre battle in this specific case

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing this out. It’s good to make a distinction between sharing a file and sharing a link or description of where the file can be found.

And thanks @UrJac for the post. Nice example of making a stamp. In any case, I know I’ll be printing some stamp holders this afternoon. I just never got around to doing that on my 3D printer. I’ve made holders on the Glowforge, but that takes a little more time to design and assemble. I think with having a few holders, then I’ll make more stamps!

3 Likes

Someone needs to make a stamp for the Canadian version of the Harriet Tubman alteration:
B-95XzlUwAEf6Yw

25 Likes

:rofl: Love it!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, I don’t know if you were teasing or not but that really made me smile. At first I’m like: “Blue Dragon”? I have a Blue Dragon? Then I looked back and I thought, do they mean my crumpled up blue nitrile glove? And THEN: wow that glove really does look like a dragon! I’m cracking up. :laughing:

1 Like

I was just about to post this!!

1 Like

Well, I sure don’t hate you. :slightly_smiling_face:

While I think I did my best to steer away from the political aspects of this topical topic, I get that everyone reads with their own context, and so all the caution in the world might not be enough. I share your concern about keeping this forum focused on the projects and fun, and I give my word that my intention for posting was to highlight only the following:

• I learned how to make an ink stamp!
  • Harret Tubman is a true American Hero!
  • Putting ink stamps on money within the bounds of the law can be fun! (and, as shown, it also works on non-money paper!)

I do agree that letting this place go crazy train would be BAD, so believe me I only wanted to show off my stamp. :grin:

5 Likes

*TAG*
You’re it!

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words! I JUST traced my way this far into the comments and … Oops, I already posted the file and all my production notes in a topic on the Free Designs forum; link is up in my first post under the UPDATE I just added. :grin::wink:

Y’know, I think I definitely have asked for someone’s design a couple times in the past. I get enthusiastic. I agree that rules against asking offer some protection for folks from pressure so it’s probably a good rule to have; I just know that if I want to try what they tried that bad then I mean it as a really nice complement. I’ll assume you’re like me so Thank You! You made my night. Please post pics if you make one!

3 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing. I think I got it, but I’m not really happy with the stamp. Tomorrow I’m going to compare my settings to yours and try again. Again, thank you for sharing and inspiring me to try this stamp again.

6 Likes

Hold my beer while I fire up Affinity Designer on the iPad

There’s gotta be a good three-quarter shot of @Dan somewhere out there
:sunglasses::joy::innocent:

19 Likes