Has anyone seen a good cuttable cable winder template?

I have been using cable ties to secure coiled cords but I want to try a rigid frame… Imagine something kind of bone shaped with notches to tuck in the cable ends.

This seems kind of obvious and I expected I’d see a lot of free plans out there but I haven’t. If you have seen something good, please share! I’ll design one if needed but if the perfect design is out there I’m happy to just use it. :slight_smile:

Here are some rough examples, though not all are cut from flat stock. You get the idea.

13 Likes

You could trace this in about 3 seconds…

I wonder if you don’t see designs like this because they’re too simple to monetize?

6 Likes

Not the shape you are looking for, but it’s in the catalog

4 Likes

have you SEEN some of the files on Etsy?

i did this for headphones, which could easily be adapted some.

23 Likes

Hah that headphone skull is clever.

8 Likes

I’m looking for (or wanting to make) something that’s more generic, that can accommodate a variety of cable thicknesses, within reason. Headphones aren’t a specific requirement so the dual cutouts for buds won’t hurt but aren’t needed.

I actually did a quick design already but it needs iteration.

1 Like

Something like this?

5 Likes

Yes, something like that. It’s hard to know what’s going to feel good to use without cutting test parts but that looks reasonable. The goal is some kind of winder frame that captures the ends of the cable well enough that you can throw it into a box full of other wound cables, and fish it out later without the ends coming loose and getting tangled with each other.

This was today’s 20 minute project. It’s in the right ballpark but needs a lot more iteration… Some kind of hooked cutouts are needed to keep the ends captive.

If no one knows of an existing righteous design, I’ll keep playing around and share my work. @bwente this could be a good Cuttle project for sure. The inputs would probably be cable length (for the overall size) and diameter (for the shape of the cutouts that trap the ends).

4 Likes

Ages ago I made Christmas tree light strand spools. I don’t think I ever posted about them though.

They were pretty basic things but they’ve done a great job for several seasons now.

3 Likes

Me too!

4 Likes

Oh no I went way simpler than that. I just found it in the dash, this screenshot should pretty much say it all:

I’d do two separate strands per cutout holder, winding them horizontally in this pic. Works really well.

3 Likes

How about changing the material? I have some EVA foam tiles.

10 Likes

Something flexible to catch the ends. Cardboard words too, just mind the direction. I should have rotated it.

Dog Bone - Cord Wrap

10 Likes

EVA is a great idea and that dogbone shape with the deep cuts is promising, thanks!

3 Likes

That looks to me like an ideal place to cut out a shape for the big wallwart. If they flop around too much it can mess up the connection to the wire.

2 Likes

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=cable+winder&page=1&type=things&sort=relevant

6 Likes

It would be a lot more work, in leather, but I can recommend this clever design. It’s a closed loop whose sides snap together in the middle, which prevents the cable coming out.

(Product on Amazon.)

7 Likes

That is a good design.

@bwente’s EVA idea was good. Lots of iteration left to do, but this is a fruitful direction. It would be nice if the foam was stiffer… I see there are high density EVA sheets available, but they may be too expensive for this application.

The cuts leave residue too, you can see it on the white cable. But I bet that you could wash off the soot with plain soap and water.

winder

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.