Has anyone tried LiquaMASK?

I searched the forum and haven’t found mention of anyone trying this product - has anyone? with a :glowforge: ? or another laser? Looks like it might be a good option for non-proofgrade materials, though a bit pricey at $20/pint:

http://www.johnsonplastics.com/liquamask-pint

“OVERVIEW: Revolutionary new masking product for laser processing! LiquaMASK applies as a liquid and quickly dries to create a durable mask. The mask will protect the top surface of the substrate to prevent smoke damage or scorching from the engraving or cutting process Ideal for a variety of laser processes including color filling, light sandblasting and deep engraving. LiquaMASK works with coated wood, engraving plastic, acrylic, glass, marble, coated metal and dozens of other materials. To use, brush on to the substrate. LiquaMASK is thick and will not look smooth. After a few minutes LiquaMASK will flow smooth and consistent. Drying time is 20-30 minutes. After complete drying, engrave and cut the substrate. Peel the LiquiMask off to reveal the clean substrate. Non hazardous and laser safe. 1 pint covers 2,000 square inches.”

11 Likes

Guess it might be good for non flat materials. Not sure what the other benefits would be. Certainly not cost. $20 for 6" x ~9 yards vs. standard laser masking tape at $35.40 for 6" x 100 yds. And you can probably get that even cheaper depending on type and company.

4 Likes

I have some that showed up yesterday. I’ll let you know how it goes after trying it out.

21 Likes

Interesting. I’m one for the shortest, quickest route that allows me to be spontaneous. The time needed for prep, application, drying time and then clean-up of brushes would be a bit of a turn off for me. Slap on tape and be done is more my style. The price is a bit of a negative too. However, if it proved to be a good product, I would likley get it to use for some specific tasks it was well suited for.

It’ll be interesting to see how it works for Mark. Keep us updated!

3 Likes

Tape is cheap and easy for flat surfaces. For dimensional shapes it can get tricky. Also, tape doesn’t like to stick to every material. There may be materials for which the liquid stuff works better.

4 Likes

Did you ever end up trying this? :slight_smile:

No, I have it ready for the day it looks like the best option!

1 Like

Sweet. I was looking at getting some (starting to place material/supplies orders) but ended up going for a normal roll of masking. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is what I keep using when I need masking. 100 yard roll will probably last me a lifetime.

3 Likes

Yeah no kidding! If you ever get a use out of the LiquaMASK I’d be curious on how it works.

I’ll make sure I post when the time comes.

1 Like

…just thought I’d check in to see if anyone has tried Liquamask yet? I’m gearing up to get a Seklema mat and am thinking about adding a pint of Liquamask to my order…