Has anyone tried this wood?

This wood is from Home Depot brand is Handprint. Has anyone tried it?

5 Likes

Huh, I haven’t seen anything on here about that material, it must be a new one. What’s important is what’s in the middle, and whether it’s laser-compatible, and they don’t say anything about that. (Some glues can’t be cut by the laser.) I’d say get some and give it a try and see!

7 Likes

And let us know, I bought a 4’x8’ sheet of their birch and it was the worst I have ever seen. This looks like it might be different though.

2 Likes

I’m skeptical. It’s quarter inch birch plywood, it’s going to push the limits with a material that wasn’t necessarily optimized for lasering.

Unless they have it in store, I wouldn’t bother… If you’re going to be mail ordering I would just mail order some proper Baltic birch. It’s much more proven. Even the Columbia stuff from Home Depot is probably a safer bet.

That being said, if we never try anything new we won’t find out about alternatives, so if you do give it a whirl I’ll be interested to see how it goes.

9 Likes

I agree! and report back :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks like Universal Forest Products is trying to get in on Columbia Forest Products’ little niche of dropshipping Glowforge sized wood (the PureBond packs) through Home Depot. Handprint is a UFP brand.

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. I use the PureBond products when I can get them and they have worked great.

3 Likes

The problem is HD has been out of the Columbia PureBond for a month now with no idea when it will be back in stock. I did order some birch from another laser group I’m in, but was curious about this product and if anyone had used it.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t it, since every time I try to cut anything over 3 ply, it doesn’t go very well :sweat_smile: this says 5 ply, so I’d avoid.

But what is the worst that could happen? You try and hate it and wasted money or try it and love it. I don’t know how much money I have wasted on trying out plys from different manufacturers, but it is definitely over $500 by now :disappointed_relieved: (What can I say, I’m an opptimist that this time it’s going to work out!)

8 Likes

I have quite preferred 5ply when the adhesive is less laserproof than the wood. It is a lot stronger than 3ply, and except those like “revolution” ply that the outer plys are thin enough a scratch will go through them, are very useable, though they may need to be tested for the ideal cutting speed first.

4 Likes

True, but it can always be engraved, so cut to size and engrave. No waste.

4 Likes

Pointing out the obvious… and very much thank you for doing so, since it made me re-realize that the nice sheets of walnut ply than I have but can’t cut can actually be used :sweat_smile: Once you have a laser cutter, everything looks like a laser cutter problem​:joy_cat:

4 Likes

Last week, one of the managers at my Home Depot called to order some birch or MDF from Columbia Forest. I still have the voicemail message from Home Depot.

The representative from Columbia forest called the HD manager and told him they did not have any MDF or birch and they couldn’t tell him when they would be getting any but possibly six months.

Last week I also talked with someone from Rugby Architectural Building Products. They also sell 1/8 inch birch from Columbia forest. The gentleman on the phone told me ——maybe in six months.

I just ordered some birch Woodpeckers—— 500 sheets for $1500. I paid three dollars a sheet. The company is beyond incredible because they only charged me $10 for shipping . On Thursday, 10 boxes arrived at my doorstep via Fed Ex.

6 Likes

I think they are stuck on container ships maybe?

I ended up ordering 20 sheetsof 1/8" Birch from a guy on Etsy for $80. I dont go through enough to justify a huge purchase.

1 Like

Maybe the surface veneer has to be imported? They do all manufacturing in the US and Canada, and they get all the wood for the inner cores locally. Doing their manufacturing near where the trees are harvested is how they’ve always claimed to provide “reliable, timely supply”… clearly something’s broken down anyway.

Woodpeckers sells baltic birch, which isn’t a comparable product to the CFP birch plywood when it comes to laser use, and should always cost less.

2 Likes