Haunted Manor sign

Fun little project knocked out in a day. Made possible by Glowforge, VanOaks props youtube videos for inspiration, (and a scenic painting class many years ago).

Haunted mansion font is available online under the name Ravencroft. Almost all of the design came from a bit of that font reimagined as a house placard.

Honestly the patina isn’t quite where I wanted it…but I ran out of time before trick or treaters started showing up so a bit of hair dryer action and I called it good enough.

38 Likes

The turquoise color looks incredible. I will share a creative tip with you.

Take an old toothbrush. Dip it into some dark colored stain. Shake off the excess. Keep the brush about 10 inches away from your project. Take your thumb across the top of the bristles and let the very tiny droplets of stain land on your project. This is a great way to age a project.

If your project is small enough you can do it inside a box. Always wear gloves.

8 Likes

Thanks! Definitely used the toothbrush trick for models but didn’t think to use it on this one at all. Just a spray bottle and watered down paint.

Likely going to make a new version of the sign so will give the toothbrush trick a shot.

7 Likes

This looks amazing! Great job!

4 Likes

very nice

2 Likes

Way cool! You did a great job. By the way, in the first photo, is that a black dragon hiding under the sign; or, am I just seeing things?

4 Likes

haha… no dragon, just some paint splatter. But now I see it too!

2 Likes

Welcome foolish mortals…Love that line! NIce work! The turquoise is very nice!

3 Likes

I think it turned out amazing! Great technique to get that old look.

2 Likes

Nice job. Bet it scared a few kids.

2 Likes

That turned out great!

1 Like