Heat Dishing Acrylic Earrings

I was noticing a particular bounty of laser-cut acrylic earrings in my feeds recently and, wondered about heat-shaping them. I did a few quick experiments and, they seem pretty good.

I am still playing around making video stories from some projects and, I did one for these (3m):

TL;DW (too long; didn’t watch): put the cut earring in the dish of a dapping block, heat gun on low, moving constantly with the center over the outer edge (to avoid overheating the center), about an inch away, for 30-40 seconds. When the acrylic starts to droop, apply pressure to hold in the desired shape. Then, allow to cool for about 40-60 seconds to re-solidify!

36 Likes

Thanks for the “short” version of how to reshape the acrylic. Will have to try that.

6 Likes

I don’t own a heat gun. Will a blow drier work? Or a brief period in an oven?

2 Likes

I’ve done this successfully - at ~270-300º it is nicely malleable.

5 Likes

Those are really beautiful! I love the colors. I’ve done some things with heat and acrylic…and it’s pretty amazing…and fun. I actually used our outdoor grill to do this one;

https://community.glowforge.com/t/roly-poly-bowly/39124?u=xabbess

I’ve been making a lot of acrylic earrings lately…I should revisit this technique. I did purchase a dapping block, too…so this is a great idea…thank you!

4 Likes

I don’t own a blow dryer but, it might work. Give it a try and let us know!

As @deirdrebeth says, the oven will work. You can even leave it in until it slumps into the depression of it’s own accord.

Note that you can get a small crafting heat gun for ~$11 USD.

4 Likes

Thanks! I had no idea they are so affordable.

1 Like

Thanks. How long do you leave it in the oven?

1 Like

This is really cool. Thank you for sharing your process, including your initial attempt at heating the acrylic. I can imagine some situations in which the bubbling is desirable, but does int weaken the integrity of the acrylic?

3 Likes

Possibly. The green ones I did that to seem fine. They don’t feel any more fragile than the others. There is not a huge amount of bubbling there, though. I’m not likely to use that as an intentional technique but, who knows? Sometimes those things are “happy accidents.”

3 Likes

Actually, the opposite is true. Annealing acrylic strengthens it, not the other way around.

5 Likes

…until it’s soft enough? It’s not a solid answer, but the times have varied quite a bit depending on thickness of acrylic - and the number of cut-outs in it. Closer to 5 minutes than 10, I think I’ve pulled after 2 successfully, but mostly I just watch through the window until it starts slumping then I reach in and push at it - if it doesn’t go where I want it to I put it back in for a bit. More an art than a science!

4 Likes

This. When I made the little bowl, I kept watching it too…didn’t seem like it was working at all, so I put the other small bowl on top of it and started pushing it down. It was ready alright, but you couldn’t tell by looking. 1/4" acrylic was no doubt a bit slower to go anywhere, though.

4 Likes

These are beautiful!!!

1 Like

Oh, I love these! Great technique!

1 Like