Heavy Antique Glass

settings

Interesting how this antique old paperweight (that was tossed because it was scratched on the bottom) turned out. I had thought it would be nice to engrave it and use it as a paperweight myself but it looks much better with a light going through it! My new Object d’Art!

I used 900/100/270 and since the glass was an inch thick I took the GF bed out and brought it up to 1/2 inch height using plywood.

Still having fun! I think I might go through withdraws because I have to go to a convention for the next 5 days… Kathy

37 Likes

Now that’s recycling! :grinning:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: That’s a fact! I picked up other types of paperweights, wondering now what to do with them lol!

0 Likes

Nice design and great to salvage this material. There may be no difference between Object d’Art and paperweight.

3 Likes

Moved to BtM because of settings in the original post.

5 Likes

not recycling, REUSE! which is even better than recycling.

4 Likes

Well now it’s really scratched on the bottom!
Beautiful - and I agree, the light trips fantastic on that one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, I was just wondering is there any concerns about etching old glass that might have lead in it?

3 Likes

I didn’t, but wondered what differences there may have been because of it.

0 Likes

I seriously doubt it, the glass isn’t being vaporized, just micro-fractured by thermal shock.

7 Likes

would the fine dust from the etching have lead in it?

1 Like

Looks like a prop from the 80’s Dr. Who!

4 Likes

No dust - nothing is being removed.

1 Like

Cool, I will try some myself. Thanks

1 Like

Gorgeous, I want one!

:laughing:

3 Likes

Oh, this is just beautiful!

2 Likes

Great idea. Great design. Extra great with the light coming through it. Did you make the base or buy something?

2 Likes

Thanks, the base is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/EEEKit-Adjustable-Decoration-Decorative-restaurant/dp/B07JCSM7NR/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2TWOWPFA2TW8&keywords=led%2Bedge%2Blit%2Bbase&qid=1554767276&s=gateway&sprefix=led%2Bedge%2Blit&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

0 Likes

Thanks for the link. I saved it. I hadn’t thought of using an LED base with glass, but I’m anxious to play with illuminated plexiglass . That said, I do some fused glass, and it would be simple to create any shape you’d like, and even play with different colors. Don’t the possibilities just BOGGLE your mind???

2 Likes