Heavy Antique Glass

Interesting how this antique old paperweight (that was tossed because it was scratched on the bottom) turned out. I had thought it would be nice to engrave it and use it as a paperweight myself but it looks much better with a light going through it! My new Object d’Art!

I used 900/100/270 and since the glass was an inch thick I took the GF bed out and brought it up to 1/2 inch height using plywood.

Still having fun! I think I might go through withdraws because I have to go to a convention for the next 5 days… Kathy

37 Likes

Now that’s recycling! :grinning:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: That’s a fact! I picked up other types of paperweights, wondering now what to do with them lol!

Nice design and great to salvage this material. There may be no difference between Object d’Art and paperweight.

3 Likes

Moved to BtM because of settings in the original post.

5 Likes

not recycling, REUSE! which is even better than recycling.

4 Likes

Well now it’s really scratched on the bottom!
Beautiful - and I agree, the light trips fantastic on that one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, I was just wondering is there any concerns about etching old glass that might have lead in it?

3 Likes

I didn’t, but wondered what differences there may have been because of it.

I seriously doubt it, the glass isn’t being vaporized, just micro-fractured by thermal shock.

7 Likes

would the fine dust from the etching have lead in it?

1 Like

Looks like a prop from the 80’s Dr. Who!

4 Likes

No dust - nothing is being removed.

1 Like

Cool, I will try some myself. Thanks

1 Like

Gorgeous, I want one!

:laughing:

3 Likes

Oh, this is just beautiful!

2 Likes

Great idea. Great design. Extra great with the light coming through it. Did you make the base or buy something?

2 Likes

Thanks, the base is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/EEEKit-Adjustable-Decoration-Decorative-restaurant/dp/B07JCSM7NR/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2TWOWPFA2TW8&keywords=led%2Bedge%2Blit%2Bbase&qid=1554767276&s=gateway&sprefix=led%2Bedge%2Blit&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

Thanks for the link. I saved it. I hadn’t thought of using an LED base with glass, but I’m anxious to play with illuminated plexiglass . That said, I do some fused glass, and it would be simple to create any shape you’d like, and even play with different colors. Don’t the possibilities just BOGGLE your mind???

2 Likes