Hedgie Trivet

for you hedgehog folks, just received this in an email, had to share it.

20 Likes

That’s cute - is that a board outside of a restaurant? (Somebodie’s got some skillz.)

2 Likes

I haven’t seen anyone post a picture of actual GF’d sample, so here it is in medium acrylic:

Very cool design - thank you @Jules!

18 Likes

Squeeeeee! :hedgehog::hedgehog::hedgehog::hedgehog: Oh man, now I’ve got to go make one in acrylic! (It would have the added advantage of not warping the way the goofgrade plywood from home depot did!)

Thanks for posting your picture, I never would have thought to use acrylic! :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi @Jules, I’m still working on my 'articulated hand ’ design, and I’ve been thinking of using something like this living hinge pattern for the back of the hand.
It’s said to be capable of bending in two directions at the same time, ie a spherical curve.
Does it ? I’m only looking for a small curvature, but as I’m four weeks away from Glowfinger, I can’t try it for myself :frowning:
John

Don’t know, haven’t tried it myself, but if you look at @gdmccormack’s pictures above, it looks like you can get a slight curve in two directions.

Those two direction living hinges are not the sturdiest of designs though, it’s going to depend a lot on what material you use for it. Woods do tend to break if you flex them in two directions. (The acrylic was inspired…I’m going to have to try that.)

1 Like

Thanks, Jules. Don’t forget that acrylics might not be the best thing to stand something straight out of the oven on !
But you knew that of course. Just a message for others !
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Oh I was thinking of a smaller one like that one for a coffee mug…hopefully that’s not hot enough to melt it.

1 Like

Depends how hot you like your coffee .

4 Likes

This was worth my whole day’s reading, right here. :joy::rofl:

7 Likes

I didn’t coin it, but we’ve decided to adopt it for generalized non-PG use. :wink:

5 Likes

I have a stack from both HD and Lowe’s that is pretty much worthless. To get it to cut all the way thru it ends up taking WAY too much time and effort for miserable results. My Lowe’s did, however, place an order for 1/4" MDF for me. Not sure why I wanted it though LOL.

1 Like

Is this what you mean by curving in two directions? Here is Acrylihedgie pressed onto a large ball bearing:

4 Likes

Wonderful - the perfect answer to my problem. In fact far better than I would have imagined it would go.

The thermal deflection temperature for acrylic starts at about 85C (185F) so unless you drink molten lead out of a uranium mug you should be fine :wink:

6 Likes

Each to their own, is what I say.:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

ROFLMAO! That’s really funny…my DH claims I do! :smile:

Hmmm… will have to look for a different substrate…

3 Likes

I wonder if you anneal the acrylic if you’d get less tendency to fracture (otherwise I think acrylic is going to be just as problematic as wood).

1 Like

Love, love, love them! The smaller one was sized down to 2.5x3.75 " and cut great! I used PG Medium Maple Plywood.

I used Gorilla tape to help remove masking. Color me so surprised when I took a piece of my desk’s veneer off in the process. Rookie Mistake. Ha! #GFNewbie

1577831668459784581407162187686|666x500

3 Likes