I had to do a hedgehog in a design somewhere. (It’s the law.)
So this is a semi-flexible trivet. (Because I wanted to play with the pattern…probably doesn’t make much sense to make a flexible trivet, but there you go. )
The pattern imported from the Instructables attributed below came in as discrete segments, joined segments and duplicated segments in many places, so I’m not at all sure that this will cut cleanly, but I thought it might be a good test case, so i did not perform a whole lot of cleanup on it. (Just mainly at the edges where the pattern crossing the edge would have cut gouges out of the shape.)
This one will be a good test for discrete segment cutting.
Can you download a copy of that pic, circle the spot you see, and repost? I tried to make sure that any cuts contacting the edge were not completely isolated from the main body of the hinge, but I might very well have overlooked something obvious. (Just about went blind on the trivets when working them.)
Update: Never mind. Just caught a wad of potential problems that HAD BEEN REMOVED, but got re-introduced when the file was converted to SVG. Apparently that pattern, with all the duplicates and hidden strokes, is going to require a heck of a lot more cleanup before it’s usable for that shape.
I’ll probably just re-create it from scratch - I had to do that with another hinge pattern that I liked. (sigh!)
Great catch! Thanks for the head’s up.
I’ve removed the files until they can be reworked.
The actual pattern is super-simple, it’s just interlocked broken-armed crosses. It took a matter of minutes to copy those across the outline shape.
What took FOREVER was subtracting the parts of those crosses that crossed over the outline, because if certain sections are completely cut off from the living hinge, it will create a cut-out section at the edge of the shape.
That was very tedious, because each one had to be done individually, and the excess parts removed…one at a time.