Heirloom cutting board - Scherenschnitte

Mineral oil is a petroleum product. It’s a byproduct of refining crude oil into gasoline.

5 Likes

@dan84, I did not realize that! I guess I thought mineral oil came from plants, as I know it can be taken (small doses) internally. I can’t think of what the 3rd ingredient was I saw that made me worry about petroleum in the cutting board oils at the store. I checked them out at Lowe’s when I worked there and my husband made me a tortilla press out of wood (which works absolutely wonderful!) Then I realized I could make 8 oz for $1.75 compared to the $8.75 they wanted at the store. So I did. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Often times it’s vitamin E or glycerin or another wax (like carnauba).

1 Like

Did you work from a jpg or did you have a lossless format version? The jpg you posted is pretty lossy - lots of compression artifacts that would show up in the engraving.

Deleted

2 Likes

For less jaggies: Double the resolution in Photoshop first, then trace the result in AI - play with sliders for number of corners and paths. You may have to expand the advanced section of the trace palette to see those.

2 Likes

Woah, this came out beautifully!

7 hours is dedication. Nice!!!

Deleted

2 Likes

A high LPI would just show the jaggies more clearly. I played with it a bunch but could not get better results. Kicking up the contrast does help with some of the compression artifacts though, while it sharpens the jaggies as well.

1 Like

Deleted

3 Likes

675 is my usual LPI or 1355. Rarely I go to the 450.

1 Like

After assembly, before you use it!

Deleted

It’s amazing how well they hold up even after a year of pretty heavy daily use. The one I made for our island is roughly 14x22 and 2 inches thick. We use it every day and about once a week I’ll give it a touch up with the beeswax / mineral oil combo.

I saw one the other day on Reddit that was a combination of Paduk and Maple - looked like the board was on fire as one side was the Paduk, the other the Maple and the middle was a gradiating of the woods to look like flames. If I can figure out the cut pattern, I’m going to make one of those!

2 Likes