Heirloom Recipe Engraved Bamboo Cutting Boards

I just can’t wait to give to my grandma one of these :relaxed:

3 Likes

LOL :slightly_smiling_face: That’s actually one of my “throwdown” designs for cutting boards. But it’s for cups/tsps/tblsp/etc not English to Metric. I use it for when I don’t have something more creative for a gift for someone :grinning: I might add a column to the chart for ml/liter conversions to it too though.

4 Likes

Love your Idea. I’m a graphic designer and would like to show you a few layout tricks that I think would give your product more appeal. None the less, I love the rough look.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m open to suggestions. Design is not my strong suit. Bare functionality and proof of concept get checked off and I’m on to the next project. But since I do have digital files of everything, I guess I could do a mock up overlay and get some idea of sizing of the engraving area vis a vis the board dimensions.

7 Likes

Can relate to you brother…

Such a cool idea! Were these just cutting boards bought at a local retailer? I’m curious where people are sourcing their materials from (when not ordering proofgrade materials) ; )

1 Like

I got these at Menards on sale. Watch for sales on these. Many different places to pick them up cheaper. $11 was the best I’ve seen for this larger size.

Good to know, thank you! We don’t have Menard’s where I live, but I can think of a handful of other options : )

1 Like

This is a cutting board that I just did. I have been buying the boards from Amazon.com.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KEKT3BM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

32 Likes

Nailed it!!!

6 Likes

Perfect! :joy:

5 Likes

Sometimes you can find them for cheap in Ross or Marshalls :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Looks fantastic! Can’t tell you’re having any fun at all…:grinning:

2 Likes

Great job. In all aspects.

1 Like

I vowed to steal this idea back when you did it. And I’m about to do just that. My Sister has Mom’s recipe box. Today’s my Sister’s birthday. Under the guise of “I want to make Tom something Mom used to make as a special surprise for our anniversary” my Wife will be acquiring said recipe box. She’s even going to ask my Sister’s advice on the best recipe(s) so we can scan/engrave them for a cutting board.

It’s a gift that will be rather difficult to top. Thanks, again, for sharing this wonderful piece.

9 Likes

Just made this for my mom’s Christmas present using a small used bamboo cutting board I had. Scanned the recipe in using Google Photo Scan on my phone, then used Bitmap Trace in Inkscape to vectorize. Cleaned up the edges, and even pulled my grandmother’s signature off an old check.
Planning on sealing it and putting a hanger on the back for her kitchen.

I wanted a shallow dark engrave.

Settings for this burn
Speed 250
Power 10
LPI 450

I think I will definitely play around with quicker settings for any future of these projects, as this took around 3 hours. But I was playing it safe since I didn’t have much room to practice other than printing my logo at different speeds on the back side. Pretty happy with how it turned out though!

14 Likes

These are great projects. They’re keepsakes & heirlooms right away. There are so many special recipes that we all grew up with that I’d bet we regret not having anymore (mine is a tomato soup spice cake with raisins & chocolate frosting with raspberry jam between the layers that I expect wouldn’t taste as great as I remember but my mom made it for my birthday every year until I was 14 or 15 and I haven’t had it since).

Every once in awhile I make one of these for one of the kids when I hear them talking about something their mother made them that they really liked. Now they can make it themselves. They’re in their apartments when we drop by so I’m pretty sure they appreciate them now and know they’ll be happy they have them when we’re gone.

4 Likes

Well worth the time it took to engrave. This will be a cherished gift.

2 Likes

That’s great. I always prefer to use vectors but doing it at this level is quite something. It just makes it so much more adaptable for different sizing and applications.

1 Like

Love it. I did one of those last year for my mom with my great grandmother’s chicken and dumpling recipe. Still one of my favorite things I’ve made since the recipient I scanned was in her (great grandmother’s )handwriting.

1 Like