Heirloom Recipe Engraved Bamboo Cutting Boards

Hi, I just bought my first Glowforge and I am most excited to try this type of thing. What I’m wondering though is if you have figured out a way to isolate the handwriting so as not to detract from it with unnecessary page lines, etc. ?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, so excited to by a new owner!!

Can you explain what you are trying to do and give a picture of what you want to do?

In the original post, the author discusses removing the background and the challenges that presents. Gimp is a popular software for accomplishing this.

Hi David,

I am so new, I don’t really have any pictures yet. I want to take recipes and such and print them on cutting boards, etc. but without the background lines from the papers, envelopes, etc that they are written on. So just isolate the handwriting itself. Does that make sense? Thanks for replying so quickly.

Please see my response to your other post about this exact same thing.

Sorry brand new and just wasn’t sure if I should make it a new post or reply to the older thread. My apologies.

Most people use a graphics program like Photoshop to clean up their text. Everything on that cutting board was engraved so the text is a jpg file. The crumb tray was removed because the cutting board is thicker than .5 inches.

1 Like

No apology necessary. You are in the right place to learn all about your Glowforge and how best to utilize your new tool. Read everything in the forum that you can. Learn to use the search function and read even more.

We look forward to seeing what you make!

Very nice. And I like the way you included a very legible version next to it.

You can do it with an eraser tool in your bitmap editing design software. Or if it is a color image, you can select lines by color, if say a line is red or green, but that isn’t always going to select what you want.

Learning the automatic tools for editing helps speed things up, but in the end the eraser tool and the fuzzy select or freeform select works well. Only thing is the ruler lines intersect so easily with the letters in handwriting that it is a painstaking task. It’s worth it if you make a bunch of the same design to give away to family members.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for the response.

1 Like

I’ve bought some at Ross Dress 4 Less, Kohl’s (on sale), even Walmart. We also have a dumpy place called Bargain Hunt, that I’ve found some at. If you have a local IKEA, they have a good selection as well.

I use the downloadable app Magic Eraser on my iPad. Its the easiest I have found. Unfortunately it is only free for IOS.

2 Likes