Hello! I made this game board and have some questions :)

Hello everyone!
I’m Jaya. I have been regular reader of this group and have found tons of help and inspirations from here. I got my glowforge a month back and it’s been learning process.

I made a game board based on a game that we used to play as kids. It’s called Tiger’s move, when translated in English.

I used maple plywood for the game board, my kids colored them with sharpie. For the game pieces, I used mixed media …Proofgrade acrylic on top and draft board on bottom. I used tacky glue gel to stick them together. The glue dried clear but still I can see some from clear acrylic.
That was not bothering me and everything was looked good until the acrylic fell apart from the draft board.

Can anyone suggest me the kind of glue I can use for this kind of project? A. That is durable And B. That can not be seen through the acrylic?

Any suggestions you might have is very much appreciated.
Thank you! :slight_smile:

16 Likes

That’s a good question…most of the glues I know of will show unless you flood it, and make sure that you don’t leave any air pockets.

Maybe a thick CA glue? (Cyanoacrylate.)

You’ll actually get better adhesion if you sand the back of the acrylic, giving it a frosted look, and it should keep the glue from showing too.

But if you used an opaque acrylic for the back of the game pieces instead of wood, you can use a flood of SciGrip or Weld-On (4) glue, which will literally melt the two kinds of acrylic together into one piece.

Not as available is Methylene Chloride, and you have to be careful with that…very careful. But it also bonds acrylics permanently and looks a little clearer.

3 Likes

That’s information gold! :slight_smile: Thank you for your reply. I’m new to all these materials.
I’m going to try using opaque acrylic as I’ve got a black sheet with me and go from there. Will post how it goes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another possibility would be a really strong double sided tape like [this](Double Sided Tape, HitLights 16ft Transparent VHB Mounting Tape Heavy Duty Waterproof Clear Tape for Car Motorcycle Home Wall Office Decor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083K26WTL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OlNmFbZDYJJ1R) one, or maybe a 3M tape like what they use on the Proofgrade veneer. You can trim it with scissors and once stuck it isn’t going anywhere.

(Arrrgh—I cant get links to work right on my iPhone)

3 Likes

This is really cool idea… I have cricut so I can use it to cut it in same size… I’ll give it a try… thanks … :slight_smile:

Except I figured out only one size has protective covering so cricut is out of scope, will have to cut it with hands … :slight_smile:

VHB is laser-safe. It’s pre-applied to Proofgrade veneer.

That said, there are many cheaper options, like Goop, E6000, even 3M '77 would be a good choice for this.

1 Like

I don’t have a glue suggestion, I just want to say that your board is nice and your kids did a great job of adding color.

1 Like

Just stick it down to some resist paper (like the kind labels come on, or the backing sheet from Cricut vinyl), then cut it with your Cricut. It will peel easily off the backing.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: