Hello World! Meet Emmet, my new Glowforge!

Oh, I most definitely will be asking questions here. You guys have been great on these forums and have so much knowledge. I’m in way over my head but so excited to learn. Thanks!

4 Likes

I thought the same thing myself at first glance when I opened the box, but unfortunately, I don’t think so. The honeycomb itself is silver, and you can definitely see the discoloration on the tray where I cut (which I thought was part of the reason they said they were making it black). I honestly wasn’t paying close attention to that announcement to know for sure, and when I heard some of the most recent deliveries after they announced the black tray were still silver, I was worried that my emails started coming too soon to get it.
Honestly though, I’m fine with the goofy marks—tells a visual story of my laser journey (Ha! that’s what I’m gonna have to tell myself anyway until the day they hopefully let me buy a black tray to replace it, assuming they even offer that & it’s not uber costly).

EDIT: I just went back and looked at the announcement post to see their picture and I’m not sure which it is… I may have to go look now…

13 Likes

Congratulations. Looking forward to more novels. This is quickly becoming my favorite genera. :smile:

8 Likes

That was possibly the longest post I’ve yet read on this forum! But, not a complaint, as I enjoyed reading every word and seeing those cute kids getting their first taste of what promises to be lots of fun and learning. Thank you for taking the time to give us all the details. Great news!

6 Likes

Congrats bit wow this thing is loud and that is very unfortunate

Pretty difficult to tell “loud” from a video?

I mean, we’ve had actual measured dB from at least a couple of users.

Either way - enjoyed the write up, @jamingaroutte! I’ve discovered posting from ones phone leads to less verbose post. Works for me at least. :slight_smile: Can’t believe you had the willpower to hold off playing for so long! The videos with your kids so excited definitely must have made the wait so worth it!

4 Likes

I highly enjoyed your novel! Looking forward to seeing what else you make. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Congrats! Great write-up! Now have fun lasering things!

2 Likes

Love this post. Kids made me smile and remember when mine were that little. That picture with your son looking in the box and your wife in the kitchen says it all. Priceless.
Congratulations.

4 Likes

Cool post and was actually interesting to read.

Guessing brevity might be a little more important if you need to deal with Support. :wink:

5 Likes

It is. I described it exactly as @jamingaroutte did, though… Almost exactly as loud as a common household vacuum cleaner. Mine’s in a tiny little room and I’ve definitely been able to have conversation in there while cutting.

5 Likes

Enjoyed the read… makes me even more excited for mine. I write for a living, so you may have competition for story-length when mine arrives :slight_smile: I tend to document EVERYTHING when I start a project, and it looks like you do, too. Enjoy the machine… and please do keep sharing your results.

5 Likes

Mine say overnight before I got around to unboxing so you’re faster than I was.

For loudness it is easy to handle during a working session, but I turn mine off at other times. I find it an annoying white noise if I’m not actively using or about to use it.

Congratulations.

3 Likes

…and I shall call it Emmet.

13 Likes

I’m noticing that you and I have more and more in common all the time! :grinning:…my laser pantry is about 7’x7’…and some of that is taken up by shelving! We can converse in there while it’s running, too…albeit more loudly. I’m really pleased that that little room ended up being the home of the Glowforge, as it’s the furthest back in the house and does not interfere with other people activities.

5 Likes

Congrats! I thoroughly enjoyed the entire post–I sat here with a sleeping Baby Isaac taking up one arm and living vicariously through your unboxing.

10 Likes

Congrats!!

9 Likes

@rpegg Yeah, I’m sure they’d appreciate that… Too bad they already got a LONG rant from me on one particular issue. Kudos to them though, they responded quickly and very graciously

To be honest, I won’t post quite so much on anything else—this was just for the “It’s finally here” excitement.

@jktechwriter I can’t wait to read it—hopefully sooner rather than later!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your new home, Emmet!

5 Likes

Mine is in what is referred to as a breakfast nook. Always been too small for us to use as that. We’ve spent more time in there in the last month than we probably have in the 12 years we’ve lived here. :wink:

11 Likes