Help, broken heart and GF... How can we get this fixed?

I haven’t seen any flare-ups with acrylics of any brand or thickness. (I’ve used 1/16" through 3/4" from different manufacturers.) BUT! What I have seen is the masking catch fire. In those cases, I just removed the masking prior to cutting. If I saw smoke damage (which I haven’t seen much of in acrylic) then I just mask with beige masking tape. One thing that’s super-important when it comes to flame is air under the material. When I was cutting 3/4" acrylic with the manufacturer’s masking on I had it raised with sort of pins that I’d fashioned specifically for raising that acrylic. No matter where I had the settings, flame as it cut through, every time. (Easy to see when it’s clear acrylic.) That’s when I tried removing the masking and that worked perfectly. But, depending on the material, air under the material seems to increase the risk of fire.

The focus would also be way off, could that cause a defocused bean to ignite the masking?

i’ve seen plenty of small flames/flareups when cutting acrylic (although moreso on the universal at work than the GF). not all the time, but not unusual. still, nothing that air assist hasn’t taken care of so far. but i definitely see a small flame sometimes.

1 Like

Oh no… I’m so sorry to hear about the damage.

I see you already emailed us about this, so I’ll follow up there shortly with next steps.