Help cutting half inch plywood

Hi, I’m trying to cut through half an inch of pretty typical hardware store pine plywood. Went up to 3 passes, still won’t punch the whole way through. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Like

That stuff’s pretty hit or miss even at thinner sizes. You just don’t know what’s on the inside. Some of them use glue that isn’t laserable.

2 Likes

Do you have a Pro version? If so I’ve had some success at 110 speed and full power one pass. but like @geek2nurse said it is hit or miss. It will cause charring but that is pretty much unavoidable i think. so just adjust your design settings for that larger kerf.

Aka hot garbage. It’s really bad for lasering. Just ask @rbtdanforth.

1 Like

Yes I experimented with it pretty early. The only way I managed to get through at all was to engrave my way halfway through and then cut from there. I still had to put out a bunch of slow burning coals, and finish off the last of it with a scroll saw.

I think i got lucky with the stuff i got because i had nowhere near those issues but was running at the edge of what the laser could do. I made the frame for this spice rack/ shelf out of 1/2" plywood from my local hardware store.

1 Like

You can try lowering the focal point manually on subsequent passes. (And watch it closely for flameups.)

1 Like

What focus height did you use for each pass?

I have cut 3/8 inch Maple, Walnut or Paduk at full power and 100 speed as those do not become Ash if you try. Many woods do not stand up to that.

Focus height makes a big difference for thicker materials. You can’t just keep slowing it down or repeating the cut, but there’s also no general recommendation - you need to test for your material to get desired results. Pine is going to be a bear because it has so much resin content.

Each of these pairs of cuts (end view of 3/8" maple which is actually .39") are at the same speed, but the right cut is focused on the surface, the left (deeper) one is focused at 1/2 that height:

1 Like

To use your glowy to cut 1/2" ply you cut out the shape in draftboard then grab a router and guide bushing

3 Likes

And some use Bondo mixed with glitter…why, I have no idea…

2 Likes

A great way to dispose of hazardous waste? :grimacing: There was a big scandal in India, as hazardous waste ended up in cooking oil by several steps in each case cutting corners thinking they were the only ones doing so.

2 Likes