HELP... Glowforge Pro not reading barcodes

What could be the reason the Glowforge can not identify materials with the barcodes on them that came with it? If so how can I correct this?

Thank you for any help …

That’s actually extremely common…the stickers get stuck on an edge (which gives you more area to engrave on without having to remove them so they don’t interfere with engraving depth) and the fisheye effect of the camera makes it harder to read them there.

If you click on the Unknown Material button over the left thumbnail column, you can search for any Proofgrade material, select it by clicking on it, and automatically load the settings for it. (That’s the easiest way to deal with it.)

Or you can flip the material so that the sticker appears in the upper left corner…the machine can read it upside down.

Make sure you have run the Lid Camera Calibration process as well. It tends to clean up that view a lot.

3 Likes

Thank you so very much!

1 Like

Is it a problem for all the materials or just some pieces? There have been occasions where a blurry lens is problematic and calls for a replacement. I had a unit that was wider than the 1/4" alignment rubric and it never was able to recognize a barcode.

Some blur in the lid camera view is normal enough, but sometimes it can be problematic.

If you are able to align things well, especially after Calibration and using Set Focus, then it’s not really an issue, but a nuisance. Easy enough as @Jules mentioned to manually put in materials.

1 Like

Mine also can’t read the stickers 90% of the time. Alignment is good enough otherwise, so I just manually set materials or settings.

Often, the sticker will catch glare if it’s in just the right spot, or you have overhead lights that are causing glare on the label.

Often times, you can just rotate the board 180 so the label at the upper left and it will read. It will read the label upside down, like @jules said.

2 Likes

Best advice. Easy to get use to doing this.
There will be a lot of scrap chunks without an id tag, plus the proofgrade parameters can be used with other materials that are similar in type, thickness, and texture (at least as a starting point - test to verify).

2 Likes

I have found Proofgrade numbers work perfectly if everything is perfect. If less than perfect you get less than a full cut. so I run this test on any new material and keep it for reference so with any material I have one or several small test pieces to make a decision on the numbers.

It’s possible for the QR code to look blurry, but still be interpreted successfully by the app. When we look at the logs of your recent prints to investigate reports of Proofgrade not being detected, we’re able to see a specific check that is run by the Glowforge whenever a new image is taken by your lid camera. Anytime a Proofgrade QR code is found and scanned, this check is successful. If a QR code is not found, or if Proofgrade is later chosen manually in the app, this check is not successful. Several of the recent prints I investigated all showed that this check was successful. Therefore, I’d like you to run one more test for me so we can look into the issue further.

Could you please do the following?

1. Place a sheet of Proofgrade material in the bed of your Glowforge with the QR code visible

2. Open the Gift of Good Measure design in the Glowforge app

3. If Proofgrade is not detected, the app will say “Unknown” near the top left-hand corner. If this is the case, please take a screenshot of what you see in the app. Please include the “Unknown” message at the top-left, the rulers, the visible QR code, and as much of the app as possible

Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop

Windows: Click on the Start Menu and search for the Snipping Tool. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file

1. Send us the screenshot and we’ll investigate

Thank you in advance for taking the time to do this.

1 Like

Hi there! I just wanted to reach out and see if you have had a chance to try our test?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.