Help! Makerspace people: what is the most valuable equipment

If they’re not already on the list, I would add piles of breadboard-friendly switches to the mix, and probably also a bunch of mosfets or relays. And maybe conductive ink and circuit glue… You might also want to replace some of the battery holders with USB power banks. Maybe some cheap steppers, servos and gearmotors. Oh, and even more solid-core wire – you could make it part of the initiation for the place to strip the ends of a few dozen pieces of wire to serve as jumpers.

If your clientele starts heading in that direction, you could get a ZIF socket, some ATTiny chips and sockets, and a programmer. In many cases those can substitute for an arduino at less than 1/10 the cost.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Maybe to make 3d printing more accessible to inexperienced folks, get yerself set up for 3d scanning. I don’t have any recommendations on printers or scanners as I am one of those folks, but I know you’ve got THOSE kind people around here already. Yeah, it’s slow. But in your case, start a print in the morning, go to a class and lunch, and pick up your small item after you are done eating.

4 Likes

Having done some scanning (I own one scanner) it is a weirdly arcane art… Not for the inexeperienced (requires a lot of hand cleanup)

2 Likes

Yourself.

Wouldn’t he most valuable equipment for a makerspace be its’ users? :grin:

3 Likes

I’m transferring the makerbot digitizer from a lab to the makerspace, it’ll get more use there.
I will also have the structure sensor on an Ipad pro finally so I can use it fully. It’s been on a mini 2 since I got it on kickstarter, can’t wait to see what it does now.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

1 Like

My neighbor is being forced out of his space by the new owner of his building (he was given 30 days notice that his rent would be doubled…). He’s been there 20+ years, and has amassed a fair amount of stuff.
One thing in particular, a paper shear, caught my eye, that you or someone else on the forum might be interested in… but you would need a good way to come pick up a very large, very heavy, old machine. I’m tempted to buy it from him myself, but I just don’t see myself using it… and it takes up a bit of space.
I have no idea what he will do with it if he can’t sell it within the next month. I have no idea what he would take for it, but I’m sure he is open to all offers.

9 Likes

oh man, I wish I could. I’m going to have to get real inventive trying to fit everything I just ordered in that room.
I did just order a Carvey from Inventables though, looking forward to seeing that thing in action!

Oh, my. Except for having no use for that, I want it so badly. C&P was also the first press I used, of about the same vintage.

4 Likes

yup!

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to upgrade our office paper cutter…think I could make them go for it? :laughing:

4 Likes

The blades on real papercutters are amazingly sharp and exact. But less than about 50 sheets, not so much.

3 Likes

Yea, I was spoiled years ago with a real cutter/splitter and I hate the little Office Depot things. One or two sheets okay, 100, not gonna happen :rage:

2 Likes

Looks like something @jkopel needs (wants, whatever).

4 Likes

What a beautiful machine, I hope it finds a worthy home. I’d fill my home with these kind of things if I had the space and money.

4 Likes

We have one. It is that size but pre-hydraulics.
It just has a BIG handle and lead counterweight.

Edit: I was confused by the first picture.
That is actually pretty much identical to “Mabel” (my wife gets to name the letterpress tools).
The only difference is that ours is a Challenge instead of Chandler & Price.

2 Likes

So what I hear you saying is you need a Matilda to back up Mabel.

1 Like

It is true I have a cast iron addiction, but having disassembled and moved Mabel in two 4 hour round trips in my CRV I think I will pass. :slight_smile:

Besides someone else here REALLY needs it, they just don’t know it yet!

7 Likes

The one I miss terribly didn’t have a big handle, it had a Really Big Flywheel underneath. You would crank it for a while to get it spinning, then throw in the clutch. (We also had an old hydraulic one – leaked like a sieve and had to be tossed when it kept stalling halfway trough the cycle.)

3 Likes

Starting to wonder if I can rent the nextdoor apartment to be my makerspace, and room issues kind of go away.

8 Likes