Help! Makerspace people: what is the most valuable equipment

For a while it was a dream of mine to buy the townhome adjoined to ours and convert the garage and 1st floor into a much larger workshop than I have now. We are still waiting for a Lotto win to make that happen.

7 Likes

So many maker spaces miss one of the most useful tools in the world, a huge box of Legos. No really, they are very useful on a lot of circumstances from building temporary casting boxes to holding stuff together like electronics. Legos are a very useful tool.

16 Likes

Yes! glad Iā€™m not the only one! We have regular legos, mindstorms legos, Kā€™nex, and a few other ā€œtoysā€ that make for quick visuals or are incorporated in the final prototype.

1 Like

Nahā€¦ LEGO is a relatively sturdy, relatively cheap tool! Various sizes, quick buildsā€¦ Really great stuff. I just ordered another big lot of 'em myself! (Okayā€¦ Iā€™ll admitā€¦ This order was for me and my son to play with. But, still!)

4 Likes

You can never have too many legos, regardless of what any mother says. Met an architect the other day that uses Leto when working on ideas. Has bins of them in his office.

5 Likes

For those who donā€™t have the really big CAD/simulation setups: there used to be car manufactureres who used legos to lay out entire assembly plants.

4 Likes

Whelp, my neighbor was just served papers from his landlord. Seems his situation is worse than he let on. Looks like if I donā€™t find some way of dragging that paper shear over to my spot that it will get abandoned, and probably sold for scrap. Anybody nearby got a forklift? Otherwise I might have to drag it out of his shop sideways with the winch on my jeep.
Is it ridiculous that I want to save this piece of machinery?

11 Likes

Not at all. Wish I was in a position to help.

3 Likes

There are two business in my park that have forklifts, but they are both warehouse/offices for guys that work on location, and I never manage to get here in the really early AM when they are actually around.

1 Like

Can you use a floor jack to lift up a side, slide in casters (or similar) and then do the same to the other side? It may still be too heavy to push, but easier to slide with mechanical assistance and less likely to cause permanent damage. Although, it may be so solid damaging it isnā€™t realistic.

6 Likes

Dang. I hope you can save it. Perhaps a handtruck pallet mover or make a skidder/sled and use pipes and lift with a high jack. Thatā€™s how I move all kinds of stuff. Had a big double commercial oven once that was a beast showed up in the forks of a big John Deere tractor but then we had to manuever it into the kitchen. Donā€™t forget that the best way to move stuff is with a case of beer and barbeque!

6 Likes

Ummmā€¦donā€™t you have your solution here? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Where are you at? Pretty sure itā€™s not that close to me, but just in case :slight_smile:

1 Like

@caribis2 Iā€™m not too worried about damaging it, more about the damage it could do to the floor, the parking lot, and to anyone trying to manhandle the thing. Brought my 3-ton floor jack, but that was a no-go because itā€™s too tall to get under one side, and not tall enough to get to the other.

@marmak3261 I hadnā€™t thought about the highlift jack. That (with a drop chain) might get it up onto the floorjack at least. I like the idea of a skid and pipesā€¦ it only has to move about 40 ft, and get over a 1/2"-tall transition from pavement to concrete.

@jamesdhatch The problem is that it isnā€™t consistent when they show up around here. It would need to be when I have access to get into the space, too, since I donā€™t think either would just lend me their forklift for the day.

@kennethclapp Woodland, Ca. in the greater Sacramento area.

1 Like

Well Iā€™ve always wanted to visit California, but I doubt my wife would approve the 1100 mile road trip even if it was in the name of helping out :grinning:

3 Likes

ā€œbut honey, someone on the internet needs help moving something!ā€

(might be closer to 1700 milesā€¦ according to google maps, walking here from San Antonio would take 574 hours!)

7 Likes

Wish I was closer! Good luck, and no youā€™re not the only one who does stuff like this.

1 Like

ROAD TRIP! 1700 miles one way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Dump a bunch of loose ball bearings on the ground and use them as rollers to skate it over to your place. Kinda like the skid/pipes ideaā€¦ butā€¦ shiny.

7 Likes

I moved a 3300lb mill with some steel rods to roll on, levers, and wood blocks. But that was on smooth concrete. Real pain to steer it, but it works!

2 Likes