Help me hold on!

From the main Glowforge web site FAQs. It hasn’t launched yet and no one has uploaded projects.

"It’s a listing of beautiful designs that can be purchased for simple printing and easy customization. We’re working out all the details now, including things like who can submit, how pricing works, what requirements there are, and the details of what you can do with prints once you’ve purchased them. The catalog itself won’t launch until after Glowforge ships. "

1 Like

Aha…thx rpegg…I figured so much but hadn’t seen that or read about it in any posts. I was hoping they had begun already so we can have a peek and keep the interest up. I try not to think about when the gf will arrive, just what I can do with it.
Cheers

All this talk about holding on and the banter back and forth and yes, even a rumor or two banging around finally got to me and I decided to fill the time waiting for the Glowforge and go ahead and purchase one of those ‘Cheap eBay 40w Lasers’.
I already purchased the cheap Monoprice branded Wanhao Prusa knock off. Had some fun with that and now it is just sitting in the room doing nothing.
My idea of buying the sub-400$ laser cutter was two fold. It gives me something fun to tinker with and get some experience behind me so I can move forward even quicker when the glowforge arrives and show me how much I should appreciate the ease of use of the glowforge. I can always sell the cheap laser at a later time. Anyone else here use this cutter engraver? It is supposed to arrive early next week. Shopping for materials that I can have on hand for it to play with and for when the glowforge arrives.
I was warned that creative minds never rest - its exhausting!

2 Likes

I like the new profile picture.

1 Like

I cut that in vinyl to rebrand the k40 when it arrives. Here’s hoping sharks don’t bite. Or shoot!

I thought about posting these pics in the shop location thread but really they are of what is keeping me occupied while waiting. Bandsaw frame ready and FrankenVac is done except for cosmetics.

4 Likes

Lookin good! How long did the dust collector piece take you? I might end up making both of those sometime in the near future. I’d rather not replace my shop vac filter all the time.

I’ve been watching a lot of Matthias Wandel videos lately, for the content, but also because he is hilarious.

The most difficult thing I had was getting machine screws that fit the bottom of my plunge router. Had been wanting to make a router compass to cut the circles but needed the screws. Could have done double sided tape but it isn’t always as secure. Got the 5 mm screws but had to cut them down because they were too long. And the screws I got were very soft heads and stripped easy. Since I needed accurate circles for the bandsaw wheels, I wanted to practice a bit. The top hat style chip separator/Thien baffle was good practice. The other challenge was scrounging up the right diameter straight sided container. Again, this wasn’t supposed to cost me anything, and didn’t except for the extra hose {$20 because I threw away the hose from the old vac that burned out), screws and caulk since I used the existing hose to connect to the Craftsman 30 gallon vac. I put the word out and someone dug up a 20 gallon mdf barrel that used to hold vitamine E to put into lotions and such at Cheesborough, now Unilever. I was hoping to score some 25 or 20 gallon HDPE barrels that are integral top and bottom. Closest place for used was 1 1/2 away. If I get them, I believe the plastic will be perfect for making impeller blades for a large dust collections system build into the whole shop. So it took me about six hours all together over two days since I used contruction adhesive to attach a rope of caulk filler as a gasket for the old drum from the old vac. Also needed some silicone to harden. Perfect seal there. Need to get some weather stripping for the top of the cyclone to improve the seal, but right now it still pretty tight. The vacuum pulls it all together well. Without a pitot to check the vacuum, but just putting my hand up, the force direct from the vac without the cyclone is just slightly stronger than with it all hooked up. I need to smooth out the edges of the Thien baffle and also the inlet tube to the cyclone still has some burrs on it and it is projecting into the cyclone about 1/2 inch. Just didn’t have the right tool to trim it better at the time. I am hooked on Mathias Wandel. He has great technique. Is a scrounge like me, doesn’t do music videos, and produces some fine content, well presented. There are some simpler solutions, but his design is so cool. My favourite is Marius Hornberger. For a young guy presenting in a second language, he’s absolutely amazing. Lots of inspiration. I watched lots of build videos for dust collectors, but this one is the best, although I wouldn’t understand it without first having watched narrated builds.

Get yourself a good supply of Spax screws in, if you can get them over there, very expensive, but I never use anything else now. you’ll never strip a head on them.
http://www.spax.com
Worth every penny.

1 Like

Yeah he is great to watch. His videos are edited efficiently as well. I think my favorite quote of his so far is:

‘maybe I should organize that drawer but the space efficiency of pure chaos is hard to beat’

I also watch marius videos. The dust collection system is actually what lead me to find both of them. Marius does really solid work, good finishing on a lot of things, and likes to revisit stuff when he thinks he can do it better. I like that. As for being a scrounger, I feel like thats a great trait to have. This is from last night haha, went to lowes to get some bolts, and they didnt have any with a head as large as I was looking for. Didnt realize it was that much smaller til I got home and I didnt want to make the trip back to lowes:

1 Like

Menards carries them (US, upper Midwest based chain) so I imagine other chains carry them as well. They are nice screws, but the multi-layer plaster walls in my house can strip a square head Spax screw if you’re not careful.

On the bright side you can affix nearly anything, anywhere, to the walls of my house without worrying about finding studs or using wall anchors.

1 Like

Thanks. Have a Menards here, along with Lowes and Home Depot all within five miles of each other. Will check them out. The best place for fasteners is the old school hardware and sporting goods store. They have the best supply of metric fasteners. 1/2 hour drive.

I’ve used spax powerlags from home depot. Great for not having to pre-drill, but I’m not a fan of the star-drive head.

We have a Mills Fleet Farm in town and they have a whole aisle of fasteners sold by the pound. No old school hardware store.

The Spax are high quality; but you don’t always need high quality; and I normally don’t use them. I just wanted something I could sink into those beautifully strong walls (and yes I used pilot holes) without paying a visit to a specialty masonry store.

I have to say, I love the star-drive because i find that pozi-heads tend to break with annoying regularity when I’m using my impact driver.

Have to say, I read “spankx” for the screws and had to laugh. I used some heavy duty hex deck screws for putting my spine boards on the wall on which I hung my shelves to store my wood. They said they were stronger than the regular lag screws and less expensive. I’ll have to see if they said “spax” on them or not. I hadn’t seen them before. So far my load of wood hasn’t pulled away from the wall yet!

that reminds me of one of the greatest kickstarter videos of all time:

hahaha

8 Likes

Love that! lol

Love to make one of these also!

1 Like

The Orrery thread really brought the Antikythera to mind too.

1 Like