Help! Multiple prints using Inkscape too many layers

I just took a look at this. The one circle that @eflyguy pointed out that is separated from the others in the GFUI has been expanded, so it is a fill with no stroke. I would guess that was a mistake.

Loaded into AI, Ungrouped everything to start.
I replaced the expanded circles with a copy of one of the other circles so those are all one color and would be one operation. With one of those blue circles selected, I used Select>Same>Stroke Color, then Grouped, then hid that layer (for now). A step further would be to make the interior keychain holes a different color so that you could specify that they cut first, but that’s not absolutely necessary.

I selected one bit of the red text, and again used Select>Same>Stroke Color, Group, Hide (for now).

That left me with the array of rasters. I used Select All, copy, and then switched to photoshop, New > Paste (as pixels). Magic wand to remove the extra surrounding white area, This let me get avoid some (not quite all) of the weird artifacting that rasterizing the group of them in illustrator would introduce. Select all, copy, back to Illustrator, and paste. Un-hide the circle and text groups, and align. Now it’s a cleaner file (not totally clean though… I spent much more time typing this out than working on the file) for engraving, and is only three steps to set in the GFUI.
buicktagMULTIplain2_jbvEdit.pdf (5.0 MB)

I will note that when I tested this PDF, the GFUI threw a Clipping warning. There are no clipping masks in my file, and ignoring the warning is fine. I will also note that when I tried to post the SVG version, discourse was stripping the raster data out, for no reason that I can figure out. I have never had that happen before.

2 Likes

Wow! You guys are awesome! Thanks for your help, I will try to run these soon!

Will the GF app accept a PDF?

Yes indeed. In fact there are a few people here who use PDF almost exclusively. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks…This solved MY issue…

You rock Jules!!

1 Like

Fantastic! :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.