Help with black color density when etching on IPL Heavy Metal Gold with Black

Hi Guys.

I am etching a logo on 1/16" IPL Heavy Metal Gold. Looks really good, but I’m having an issue getting the middle pint glass of the logo solid black. I’ve attached the logo image. Then, you’ll see the following:

• Image of 3 sequentially where I turned up the power from a start of like 40 to full and also (on others not photo’d here) turned up the pattern density to most dense
  • I am using Convert to Dots. Convert to patterns made a funny pattern. I do not understand Vary Power yet (super newbie) but in the preview in the app it doesn’t seem like a great idea. Any explanation of Vary Power is appreciated.
  • The final of the 3, the most right one, gives the most black center, but it’s way too strong for the writing.

Please note, this was done from a png and jpg, both about the same. Would it help to open and export it from Illustrator?

Any help/insight to achieve this is appreciated. Thanks!

Kory

FINAL3

2 Likes

Have you tried adjusting the lpi for pint glass?

1 Like

I did try that, I think. It’s currently at 225. I think I tried more like 270. I could try it again though.

make sure your entire image is 100% black. if any part of it is a color or less than 100% black, when you engrave it will not be at the same power level as it’s trying to engrave a shade of gray instead of 100% black. so that gold will be a percentage of black.

this is what it looks like converted to grayscale.

that gray portion will not engrave as fully as the black.

5 Likes

If the color image you placed in your original post is the file you’re trying to send to the GF, the resolution is way too low to get a clean engrave (see all the pixelated, gnarly edges?)

Do you have the original VECTOR artwork? That will give you the best results. Failing that, can you get a higher resolution version?
You’d want something at minimum 300dpi.
Just opening a png or jpg in Illustrator is not vector.

2 Likes

Alternatively you could trace the best resolution you can find to turn it into a vector.
I did a quick Google search and found:

Just using that will likely help you (after converting the whole thing to black)

But you also could mess around with image tracing, e.g.:
https://www.vectorizer.io/images/3xmhHOsTiBsuJP/checkerspot_2021_sq.html
to both change the colors and turn it into a vector.

3 Likes

if the bitmap is high enough res and clean in the white areas, vectorizing may just be extra work that doesn’t gain any real value.

2 Likes

Truth. I started posting to mention vectorizing before I realized a high-res version of that image was pretty easy to find =P

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.